MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2001, 09:07 PM   #1
BLOCKER
Registered Member

Post Rear disk brake conversion problems

I just welded on the mounts to my axle housing (all parts are from an 88 t.coupe)I slide the axles back into the housing put the c clips back in get the diff all re assembled I then mount the disks with the tires (to check fit) and the disks are too close the the mounts and rub the disks when they are turned.

here are my questions:

the t-coupe axles are 3/4 of an inch longer (that is space i need) is the t-coupe rear axle housing different in length or is the rear axle housing the same size but the axles longer?

is there a modification that I can use along the line of longer studs and spacers and re use the orginal mustang axles (is there a company that I could contact?)

thankx for any and all help

------------------
88 Stang GT Cobra
Every option but leather
10 speaker 440 watt system
Blue/Grey with grey interior
K&N air filter, black outs, & no air

BLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:12 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

The TC axles are longer by approx 1/4 inch on each side. I believe the housing is very close to the same size and the axles are different. Is the rear end a drum brake rear? Here is what I know for sure. The TC axles are longer than drum brake mustang axles. My cougar rear end is wider than the turbo coupe rear end and mustang rear ends so I don't know if the TC is the same as the mustang or not. Hope this helps.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" duals w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:19 PM   #3
BLOCKER
Registered Member

are you shure it is only 1/4 inch longer not 3/4 of an inch, what would you recommend for a solution??
Old 03-30-2001, 11:18 AM   #4
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

As far as the axle shaft, I have placed a mustang axle and a TC axle right next to each other standing on the end that goes into the rear end. The TC was longer by about the width of the flange that the lug bolts are on. I can't remember how think it is, but I thought it was 1/4 or 1/2 inch. The other thing about the TC axles is that the surface where the bearing rides is in a different place. I can't use TC axles on my cougar even though they're the same length because they're made to be used in a shorter axle housing. You might try some TC axles and see if that will work. But really man, you're experimenting where not very many people have experimented before, you might try finding a place with a conversion kit and call them and ask what's up. Sorry I can't help more.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" duals w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 11:01 PM   #5
BLOCKER
Registered Member

Quantum,
Thankx for all your help

I was originaly going to try spacers and studs but I have heard a few "horror" stories, instead I am going to try and find a set of T.C. rear axles, and take my chances,

Any one know where I can find a set??

if you do e-mail me, thanks

Old 04-02-2001, 09:35 AM   #6
Carbo96
Registered Member

From what I have seen, the axles are approx. 3/4 inch longer that fox axles. I have the TC rear and one reason why the axles are longer is due to the ABS ring around the axle. You will need TC axles or 93 Cobra axles to use the stock rear disc setup. SSBC used to sell the brackets to use the TC rear discs with stock fox axles but I believe they only sell them with the kit now.
Carbo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 06:10 PM   #7
BLOCKER
Registered Member

so If I can get my hands on a set of t.c. rear axles It should solve all of my problems

thanks