MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2001, 07:41 PM   #1
Chris_H
Registered Member

Question Stumped on fuel pump switch....

Ok, for those of you who helped me figure out how to hook into the fuel pump, to make a cut off switch, I need your help again. I hooked into the Red wire with the Black tracer under my seat. I took that wire to the switch, along with the ground and the power wire. When I turn the key to the "ON" position with the switch OFF, I can hear the pump prime. When I don't have the key in the ignition, and I turn the switch ON, I can hear the pump prime. The power wire is hooked directly to the battery. I have a 10 gauge wire with 4 splices from Painless Wires for the power wire, and the same for the ground. I hooked my line-lock into the momentary switch on the panel and that works fine. So what I need to figure out, is why, when the switch is OFF, and the key is turned to ON, the pump primes. Anybody have any ideas? I am kind of stupmed on this. Thanks for any help you can give me. Sorry for the long post.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 08:35 PM   #2
Brian88
Registered Member

well, it sounds like you are using power from the battery to bypass the ignition to turn on the fuel pump. in order for that switch to be effective, you would need to tap into the switch with the power from underneath the seat, which will only be powered with the ignition on, not from battery and then from the acc post of switch back to the wire you should have cut to then turn on the fuel pump.
Brian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 08:15 PM   #3
PKRWUD

Whoa! Slow down there Turbo! All you needed to do was cut the Red/black wire and insert a switch inbetween the wires. No other wires need to go to this switch, just the Red/black wire. That wire is the same one that goes to your inertia switch. All you are doing is providing access to the inertia switch circuit while sitting in the drivers seat. When the inertia switch circuit is open, the fuel pump won't run.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 10:53 PM   #4
Chris_H
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks a lot Chris. Appreciate the reply. I was talking with a buddy at work today and we figured that was the only way to fix this problem. We figured if we cut the wire, so that there was only one power source coming in, it would fix the problem. So I will try this in the morning and let you know how it went. Once again, appreciate the help.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 02:11 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Cool. just get rid of whatever you did, and set everything up just like it was stock. Then, clip the Red/Black wire, and insert a on/off switch with one end of the wire going to each side of the switch. That's it. If you want to mount the switch somewhere else, splice appropriate lengths of wire to the ends of the Red/black wire ends so that it will reach.

BTW, I love how involved you got with that switch! I'll bet you'd write great spy novels!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 03:25 PM   #6
Chris_H
Registered Member

Cool

Chris, thanks again for the help. I got it working today. The thing I didn't realize was the fact that I didn't need power from the battery running into the switch. The power from the pump would take care of the power for the switch. So I cut the red/black wire, ran one end to the power side of the switch, then took a wire from the other end of the red/black wire, and ran it to the accessory part of the switch. Sure enough it works now! When I turn the key on, the pump won't prime unless the switch is on. When the car is running, and I hit the switch, about 2 seconds later the car dies and won't restart. PERFECT! Once again I really do appreciate everyone's help on this!

Chris