MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default A/C blows fog

After having my A/C on for about 5-10 minutes it will start to blow some mist like steam out of the vents and front defroster then goes away and comes back, you can smell moister when the A/C is on like the smell that somethings damp, kind of hard to explain but I hope you guys/gals can relate it still blows cold but not as cold as when I got it. I had my A/C compressor and that switch near the passanger fire wall with the shrader valve on it replaced about a year ago and all was fine until now, whats goin on?

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
Philossifer
Registered Member

Default Re: A/C blows fog

Quote:
Originally posted by Scrapla
After having my A/C on for about 5-10 minutes it will start to blow some mist like steam out of the vents and front defroster then goes away and comes back, you can smell moister when the A/C is on like the smell that somethings damp, kind of hard to explain but I hope you guys/gals can relate it still blows cold but not as cold as when I got it. I had my A/C compressor and that switch near the passanger fire wall with the shrader valve on it replaced about a year ago and all was fine until now, whats goin on?
Scrapla,
One of two things could be happening.

1) The evaporator condensate drain might be clogged. If so, water builds up near the evaporator and comes out of the vents as a cold mist. Straigten out a coat hanger and push it up into the drain tube to clear it of any obstructions. It's located on the passenger side (underneith the car) directly below the evaporator/heater box.

2) In very humid climates, it's normal. As the evaporator gets cold, it condenses most of the moisture out of the air passing over it but in very humid conditions, not all of the moisture is condensed. The white fog is a frozen mist in the humid air that's coming out of the vents.

The fact that you're getting the mist indicates that the evaporator is getting cold and the system is working properly.
Good luck,
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:23 AM   #3
poonstang90lx
Registered Member

Phil is correct your system is working properly the mist is more than likely just condensation .
Old 08-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Normal... don't worry about it... if you don't smell freon then don't worry about it.. if the dewpoint outside is high, you'll see clouds!
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:01 AM   #5
Scrapla
Registered Member

Thanks guys I forgot to mention I live in south florida and its humid all the time, I am going to check the drain plug anyways, thanks again.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Old 09-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Forget about the drain plug, You have a Category 4 hurricane coming your way, FRANCIS! where you going to store the stang? What is it like down there?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:56 AM   #7
Scrapla
Registered Member

Well Im in the fort lauderdale area and were all under a hurricane watch at the moment they say landfall should be around saturday anywhere from miami to vero beach which is a few hours north, the stang is mostly likely going to ruff it outside because the garage is to full of lawn furniture and anything else that can turn into a flying projectile im just gonna get the car away from any trees any poles but I was here for andrew 12yrs back and im well prepared, thanks for asking :-)

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 AM   #8
Capri306

Quote:
Originally posted by 88fivepointoh
Normal... don't worry about it... if you don't smell freon then don't worry about it.. if the dewpoint outside is high, you'll see clouds!
Um, just an FYI you can't smell refrigerant. It's odorless and colorless, but it's mostly harmless. They're even using r134a in some inhalers in Europe!

The $hitty part is when it comes into contact with an open flame: it turns into phosgene gas! That's mustard gas, the same type they used in WWI. So long as you don't have a lit cigarette with the windows up and the a/c on (how likely is THAT), I wouldn't worry a bit.

I would also theorize the drain is clogged, which can usually be cleaned with a pipe cleaner. Use caution, because the evaporator is made of very thin aluminum and is relatively easily punctured. Bugs and things like the moisture and make nests in the drain tube all the time.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Dude, get over that Monster ass hurricane first, then come back to us.. Take care of that stang and get it though the storm... This AC issues and stuff are the least of your worries! Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #10
Scrapla
Registered Member

Thanks for the concern, I battened down the hatches and have all my supplies ready :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 071.jpg (382.5 KB, 12 views)

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Old 09-03-2004, 07:27 PM   #11
Scrapla
Registered Member

Category 2 now which still holds 100+ mph winds but much better then a 3 or 4.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Old 09-03-2004, 08:49 PM   #12
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

Thats great that its been downgraded... good luck buddy!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 PM   #13
bmxmon
Registered Member

Jump in the stang and blast away!!! haha, i bet you could outrun it, its going like 7mph!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and stay safe.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote