MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-02-2001, 02:38 PM   #1
mleboeuf

Exclamation Cobra Rear Suspension

I have a bone stock '98 Cobra which is my daily driver. As with most Mustang owners, after a few days, I had successfully explored all the handling deficiencies inherent in the design. Needless to say, I want to attack the suspension and drive train problems before I dump my suitcase of money into building more horespower. I have read a lot regarding the Griggs Torque Arm/Coilover system and like what I have heard from everyone regarding the setup, but have some concerns over the loss of ground clearance. The car will be lowered around 1" with the coilovers, and with the torque arm hanging below the center diff housing, I can already hear the speedbump rash monster comming. Recently, I read about the Steeda 5 link suspension setup which does not interfear with ground clearance, but will require the use of side exit exhaust, or turndowns. I suspect that turndowns are not legal in California, but I am interested in applying the Cobra R style side exit exhaust, so this may not be a big deal. In short, has anyone had any experience with either one or both suspension systems? Any comments? Suggestions?
Old 11-05-2001, 10:08 AM   #2
drudis

I built my own t-arm/panhard system www.dariusrudis.com (website down for the moment?). The ground clearance under the axle is no big deal. You will be using the tires to go over the bumps anyways (which lifts the axle over). Ground clearance for the exhaust... is the concern. I run a custom sidepipe exhaust system instead of turndowns.
As for the Steeda piece, its awesome. I run with one of the guys that heled engineer it. Great bolt-on piece, and wont be disappointed. Pricey - yes, but definitely worth it.

For install ease (at home) I would recommend the Steeda. The the Griggs (flat out works!). Then for street duty, recommend (or merely suggest) the maximum motorsport t-arm.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote