MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-03-2001, 06:53 AM   #1
Forcedpower
Registered Member

Post Coilover?

I have a 93 lx and have been thinking about getting a complete coilover suspesion, front & back. Are there any problems to running coilovers on the street? Will I need to get a strut tower brace?

------------------
'93 LX 425rwhp/410rwtq
Forcedpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 11:26 AM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

There is no problem with running coilovers on the street as long as you choose your spring rates properly. You will probably want to get some good caster/camber plates if you don't already have them since your front suspension loading all goes through that point with coilovers - I have the Maximum Motorsports ones with metal spherical bushings with my coilovers and they work great. A strut tower bar is a good idea also.
As for rear coilovers, be careful whose kit you choose as some of them mount to the weak floorpan. I think Griggs racing makes a good rear coilover kit but it is pretty expensive. Maximum Motorsports was in the process of developing a rear kit last time I spoke with them.

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, strut/shock tower bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports suspension - H&R Race springs, Bilsteins, rear control arms, chassis bracing, Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and 600cfm carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 2chmbr exhaust, Al Driveshaft, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 stall, B&M
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 02:44 PM   #3
Forcedpower
Registered Member

How much were the MM coilovers? I didn't even know they made a kit.

------------------
'93 LX 425rwhp/410rwtq
Old 10-04-2001, 09:27 AM   #4
drudis

You _can_ run coilovers on the street. I installed some Griggs ones on mine. See sig for photos.
Rears (IMOHO) arent worth it.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 12:33 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Here is a link to the Maximum Motorsports coilovers: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/coilover.html
They are $349 and $369 depending on what springs you want.
My coilovers are actually Griggs 350lb/in in the front. The caster/camber plates I have are from Maximum Motorsports.
As for rear coilovers, I would agree with Drudis - I don't see them as being worth it, so I am running H&R rear springs in the stock location.

[This message has been edited by blue00gt (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 02:48 PM   #6
Forcedpower
Registered Member

Why did you guys choose the Griggs set up over the MM? Is it b/c MM hadn't come out with there set up yet? I just want to make sure I get a good kit, not some kit I'll have a ton of problems with.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:09 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Yeah, I got the Griggs coilovers because most of the other kits offered at the time were drag kits, and I know that the GR-40 equipped cars do very well in road racing.
I am also a big believer in Maximum Motorsports parts as they do a lot of research and testing and their cars perform amazingly well for the mods that they have. I think that either of the two would be a great choice.
At first I had 300lb/in coilovers in the front, but currently am running 350lb/in as the ride wasn't bad. The 350's are a little rough over some of the chewed up country roads around here, but I think they are a good all around choice for the street. I believe Drudis runs stiffer than that and is very happy with his ride also.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:08 AM   #8
Forcedpower
Registered Member

So is it really as easy to change the springs as they say? I'm one of the guys that can't decide which way to go stright or corner.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:20 PM   #9
drudis

To change springs is like removing the top of your strut. Its that hard? Then you plop a new spring in there, and re-install. No biggie.
Yes, I run stiff(er) springs at 425# front coilovers.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: