MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2002, 10:45 AM   #1
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Default Which Diff.?

What brand / model differential have you found to be best for the corners? What would be a good compromise for weekend warrior auto-x'r? What about a pure street machine?
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:50 AM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I would recommend the Saleen Maxgrip differential. I believe MM&FF reviewed it within the last couple of months. They gained several mph in the slalom just by swapping it in, which is more than most spring/damping packages will get you in alot of cases. You can also read about it on the Saleen site.
Get that and a torque arm on top of your current setup and it will be sweet.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 AM   #3
ItzDaLexus300
Registered Member

Im big into road racing so this is where i am happiest. As Far as the best differential depends on many factors. Starting with your motor, what kind of RPM is it capable what is its torque curv elike, Max Torque, car weight, type of track, is it daily driven or full race. Then there are personal preferences. would you rather leave the corner faster at some sacrifice of top speed or have a bit of extra speed for a slightly slower exit out of a turn (That is where depends on track comes in).

My Car runs stock 4.088 (the SC) and limited slip (Torque sensing not viscous but it does the job) It makes it great for corners and straights. Although due to the ammount of power i put through it now if im not careful i can easily convince the back end to swing about.

Tell me a bit about your car and i might be able to help you.

1996 SC300 5spd ~"Some Mods" **cough**

1987 Pontiac Fiero Project. Ask for Details
ItzDaLexus300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Well, I've started my project with suspension, brakes and some driveline work. I wanted to get most or all of that done before I started beefing-up the engine. So you can see generally what I've done thus far down in my signature.

Right now my motor is BONE stock. But that's going to change soon, now that I have all that other work done. I plan on a 306 with some sort of power-adder... not nitrous... either a twin-turbo setup or a blower.

The car will stay a daily driver until motor work is done. My ultimate goal is to race in the Silver State Classic when all is said and done.

So let's say that it will remain a street-only vehicle for another year or so.

I've tried to find literature on the Maxi-Grip unit, but Saleen's website offers little information as far as I can see. Looks cool though!

Thanks,

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:55 PM   #5
ItzDaLexus300
Registered Member

That sounds bad *** man. I would say that a 3.55 gear set with a Viscous Limited slip would be just fine for an overall mix between track and road. even when you power it up all crazy like you can vary this if you want a 3.70 ish or even a 3.30 range would be fine.

Its really comes down to when yous tart driving it and finding out how your car acts.

Good Luck

1996 SC300 5spd ~"Some Mods" **cough**

1987 Pontiac Fiero Project. Ask for Details
ItzDaLexus300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: