MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
Road-Kill
Registered Member

Default Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

Hello.

My name is Bill. I am new to this discussion group and I hope I have placed this post in the appropriate forum. I would like to begin by thanking everyone for the time and energy to read/reply to my post. Your input is appreciated.

I have a “project car” that I am undecided on how to approach. I have been pondering for sometime on just what exactly to do with it. Briefly, the background on the car is as follows. I have owned the little coupe since it was new. It is a 83' GLX red on red with with 5.0 H.O. and T-5 with factory traction bars. It has been kept about in hope of someday restoring back to showroom condition. Those dreams were promptly pummeled when a “mechanic” exchanged the original carburetor for another. The newly noted abomination delivered nothing but grief. Excessive rough idling and sputter ensued. While in route to the Ford dealership a massive backfire set the engine compartment on fire. My little coupe was saved by the graces of a good samaritan with a fire extinguisher. Eventually the damage was repaired at, again, additional deviation from factory components. A couple of years ago, at a major unplanned expense, the decision was made to begin renovation. Almost every piece (literally) of the entire engine and drive train was removed, inspected and repaired or replaced as needed. The COH (Carb from Hell) still affixed as the primary form of fuel delivery. Shortly thereafter the fuelish shenanigans resumed with the destruction of two power valves. I should have done my homework better as for what I spent I could have done considerably better with respect to price/performance. For the time being I acquired a new Edelbrock #1406 @ 600 cfm and a Performer Plus “Crosswinds” intake manifold. I finally replaced the COH and the stock intake. It is surprisingly quick for a 20+ year old vehicle.

I have begun to analyze my ultimate goals. Do I really want to go to the expense of restoring the car to its original splendor or begin the transformation of the mild mannered Dr. Jekyll into the outrageous Mr. Hyde. If I restore it the best I can hope for is to have a “pseudo” new 1983 GLX. The cost would be excessive in relation to the performance, ~average and reliability sub-par in relation, with cars today. Even if restored to “as new” condition the actual street/bluebook value would be, as far as I can tell, dismal at best On the other hand I could roll out a corner carving, pavement pounding, fire breathing, road rocket. This would not be a cheap option but the proverbial bang for the buck would yield a car that would perform as good as any and better than most. I am looking for suggestions in an attempt to possibly learn from other people on the basis of experience and hind site = 20/20. Please keep in mind that I am a mere mortal with the usual fiduciary deficiencies.

At this time my ultimate goal would be to finalize the project with a street able reliable AMG/Ferrari slayer.

If I begin the transformation into Mr. Hyde, the proposed plan would be as follows.

* Install 6-8 point roll cage.
* Make conversion to 5-Lug wheels with 4 wheel disk brakes.
* Install Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft.
* Install Maximum Motorsports Suspension package.
( The Road & Track Box or The Maximum Grip Box or The Street & Strip Box or ? )
* Upgrade braking system to something awesome.
(Not sure of where to look here Baer or ?)
* Upgrade engine to 400-600 hp.
( Big range I known but it depends on funds available at that time. The current “pseudo” stock engine has been effectively rebuilt albeit with only stock/original components. Does it make more sense to supplement it with a power adder until it finally gives up the ghost or allocate the dollars toward a new performance oriented crate motor.? I am looking for suggestions here as well.)
* Upgrade transmission and rear end to accommodate engine.
* Redo body/interior and paint to reflect cars new personality.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice,
Bill
Road-Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
drudis

Default Re: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

Get a plan and a budget.

You got a car you want to restore, it barely runs and was one fire, then add 600hp, then make a Ferrari killer, then fix the interior... How much money do you really have, and how many years do you plan on working on this project?
[ok, that was a little harsh]

A like-new restore (IMOHO) is a waste of money. You'll pour in a ton of money, to make it what... STOCK?!!!

I suggest slowly modifying it, and get goal in sight. See many posts here on getting a plan, and sticking to it. Modify it in phases. It took me 10 years to get my Mustang into what I wanted. Every year I pick a project (S-trim, brakes, rear suspension, front-suspension, rollcage...), get the money, and complete something so I can still drive it that summer. Start on something next winter...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote