MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-09-1999, 02:54 PM   #1
1989GT
Registered Member

Post Drag and Autox suspension?

Well my car is a daily driver but I race often. I love running the 1/4 but I autox a lot too. If I had to choose I'd go with an autox set up. But I'm looking for suspension ideas that will help me at autox events but not kill me at the track. My only suspension mod is megabyte Jr lowers. Are these good for autox. I know they work at the track. Also I've got subframes on the way. Thanks!

------------------
89GT,T-5, Moroso cold air kit, ASP underdrives, FMS clutch kit, Megabite Jr lowers...more mods coming soon!!!
Best ET 14.977 @ 92.82MPH
18x,xxx miles and still running strong!
1989MustangGT

1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-1999, 10:08 AM   #2
Red96GT
Registered Member

The megabytes are good for going straight, but they'll bind up the rear end in turning. You're never gonna set your car up optimally for both, but you seem to realize that.

Subframes will put you into "prepared" class at most autocross events, you might want to think about how serious into auto cross you are before you make that mod. You need to figure out what class you want to run in before you start blowing your $ on parts. Get a plan, then start spending. I think if it's your DD, I'd aim for "Street Prepared" or stock.
Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-1999, 01:43 PM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

Thanks! I think My fiberglass Mach 1 hood puts me in prepared. And since I'm getting ready to do heads and intake... I should start beefing up the suspension. I guess I'll do subframes and go from there. I've been thinking about shocks and what's a good shock to run and a strut. Like for drag racing you'd run 50/50's in the back and like 70/30's up front. What would you run for autox. Thanks!

------------------
89GT,T-5, Moroso cold air kit, ASP underdrives, FMS clutch kit, Megabite Jr lowers...more mods coming soon!!!
1989MustangGT

Old 12-10-1999, 03:25 PM   #4
Red96GT
Registered Member

Well, a DD Mustang will never be competative in prepared class, just so you realize. They're all right for local events, but go anywhere above that and you'll probably get your @$$ handed to you. I'm in the EXACT same boat as you.

Having said that, it depends on how much $ you wanna drop on suspension. You could talk to Corey at IPS and get the whole thing re-engineered (it's really a bad ass set up) but it's mucho dollaros. In CP, I'd say Tokico Illumina 5 ways at a minimum. Koni double adjustables would be better, but are at least $300 more (~$800). In CP you can run 10"-12" rims and giant slicks, which help a lot. I just picked up my slicks from UPS last night and those suckers are huge, nearly 12" wide with surprisingly low profile. Since prepared allows coil overs, I'd probably go that way. The better approach is to get the majority or all of your components from one company, as they design all their components to work together. For instance, Maximum motorsports RLCA are TOTALLY designed to work with their panhard bar. Personally, I think their RLCA are designed backwards. The MM Panhard will not work with some other companies products.

You need to do a LOT of research before you start spending money hap hazardly and end up buying stuff twice.

Make some basic decisions and go from their. Do you want to totally remove the upper rear CA and go with a torque arm & panhard? Do you want to run coilovers or stick with separate dampers & springs? Coilovers or not will change what spring rates you run. 160# with coilovers in the rear is about the same as 300# rears with regular set ups.

Talk to guys that run prepared class and see what they're running. I know it's probably hard to find them at this time of year, as the auto-X season is pretty much over now.

Get a budget, get a basic plan and go from there.
Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-1999, 04:20 PM   #5
1989GT
Registered Member

Yeah I know that I won't be competative. But I'm just doing it for fun. That and you really learn how to drive your car. I don't plan on getting to serious so I'm thinking of just doing some bracing to help out in the corners. But I'm not gonna dump a whole bunch of $$$ in it. I may go and put some Autox tires on my old rims so I'm not tearing up my street tires. The last event I went to was at an air field and the concrete was like sand paper. Anyway thanks for the input.

------------------
1989MustangGT

Old 12-14-1999, 12:05 PM   #6
cool tan
Registered Member

YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT IPSCHASSIS.COM, LOOK AT THE GRAND SPORT FRONT AND REAR SPECIAL. I USE MY CAR FOR A DAILY DRIVER, AUTOCROSSER,OPEN TRACK AND DRAG CAR (1.86 60' ON REAR STREET TIRES AND A 3.55 GEAR/TRACTION LOK.

THIS IS ONE SUSPENSION THAT CAN DO IT ALL AND WITH A NICE RIDE. I PUT HTE ULTRA SPORT FRONT AND GRAND SPORT REAR ON MY CAR ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO AND IT HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN.

------------------
cool tan
5.0 cover car may 99
triple threat
cool tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-1999, 06:03 PM   #7
ddawson
Registered Member

Red96GT is right,

What ever you pick get the whole kit and stick the that manufacturer.

Maximum Motorsports LCA's, work with the MM Panhard Bar. Global West LCA's don't work with a panhard bar.
Global West Tracklinks shouldn't be used with Kenny Browns Trackit Plus.

Everyone seems to have a favorite so do your research and have fun.

Dan Dawson
ddawson@visa.com
Bay Area, California
88 5.0 LX, Special Order, No Options,
Vortech Supercharger, PowerFlex Pipe, MAX Flow 73mm MAF,
Power Pulleys, Global West LCA's, Global West Springs 800/190,
Koni Yellows, Hurst Shifter, 190 Fuel Pump,
Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subs and C/C Plates.
ddawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-1999, 09:46 PM   #8
1989GT
Registered Member

Thanks for the help! I guess I've got some research to do!

------------------
1989MustangGT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: