MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-10-1999, 04:44 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post Disk brakes from Jim's Mustang?

Planning front disks for my "66 coupe. Does anyone have experience with the conversion kit from Jim's Mustang in California? they're $300 cheaper than Stailess Steel Brake Corp. or Master Power Brakes kits. If anyone knows anything good or bad, please respond. Thanks in advance.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 11:37 AM   #2
PoppyJim
Registered Member

Not sure what Jim's Mustang uses in the disc kit but I used 1975-1978 Ford Granada parts on my Falcon.Get the spindles,rotors, calipers and proportioning valve from a Granada from a junk yard.The self service Pick Your Part yards in my area have lots of Granadas and parts shouldn't cost more than $100 or so.If your car is a original V8 ,the ball joints and tie rods will hook right up to Granada stuff.Just get a new Granada master cylinder and your all set.I'm a do it myself type person and this worked for my budget.
PoppyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 05:06 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Thanks PoppyJim for the advice. Did you have to get hard line extenders to hook up to the calipers? Also how do the hard lines hook up to the dual reservoir master cylinder and proportioning valve? The old ball joints fit the new spindles O.K.? Appreciate any further input.

Rev
Old 12-11-1999, 06:57 PM   #4
PoppyJim
Registered Member

Rev, It's been awhile since I did conversion,but I still have car and the brakes work good.The ball joints fit just fine,I used early Mustang V8 upper and lower A arms and ball joints on my original 6cylinder Falcon and attached them to the Granada spindles.The tie rod ends I used were for a 1965 Falcon V8 which I believe are same as Mustang,just used them cause I got them at yard with center link and pitman arm to convert from 6cyl stuff.The hard brake lines which hook to master cylinder and prop valve came off Granada and I adapted them to Falcon lines.I used Granada hoses hooked to calipers and extended the Falcon hard lines with about a 6inch section of 3/16 line to hook to hose on each side.Kind of hard to explain ,hope this helps.Take a pickle fork to the yard and just whack off the best spindle assemblies you can find.
Look for the best discs and calipers you can find to save cost of having to turn them.Need more help let me know.
PoppyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-1999, 09:32 AM   #5
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Rev, I have not heard of Jim's but the reason there kit is so much less is they are using re-conditioned parts where SSB is using brand new parts. This might not be a problem for the spindles but the calipers and rotors are another story.
I agree with PoppyJim his way of doing the conversion will cost less but sure won't be as easy. If you can get a copy of Mustang & Fords Jan.2000, issue look on page 92 where the performance hotline questions are. There is some good advice there about the Pro's and Con's, the best thing that is said is that the Granada setup might not give you the best performance as the kits made to perform together.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-1999, 09:29 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Clark, thanks for the input. Would you believe I read that issue cover to cover and missed that column? I think I'll just call Jim's Mustang and ask exactly what their kit includes for $600. They say "All parts new or newly manufactured", whatever that means. I bet they mean new rotors, rebuilt calipers and master cylinder and used spindles. New soft lines and hard line extenders and a proportioning valve should be included too. Still, $600 doesn't seem too bad if you get all that. I'll let you know if I get it from them and how good it is.

Rev