MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2002, 10:28 AM   #1
wgungho
Registered Member

Default front suspension rebuild

Hi! I'm rebuilding the front end of my 89 lx. I have on hand- BBK progressive rate springs (my old lady drives this, too), koni reds (all six), c/c plates, a new AGR rack and p/s pump,90-93 outer tie rods, poly bushings for the control arms, swaybar, and end links.
The car already has a strut tower brace, 4-point g brace, full length subs with x's, saleen panhard bar, factory five upper and lower arms, reinforced torque boxes, and a shock tower brace.
Should I retain the original length sway bar end links?
What ball joints should I use to replace what's there? I've looked at the frpp front arms with the 96 ball joints, but I can't find any info on the bushings installed on them. These are the same as the original arms except for the ball joints and whatever the bushings are.
What alingment settings? I've gotten a ton of different settings that are each supposedly the best. I live in a rural area, and I tend to overdo driving on some of the back roads, but I also want decent tire wear.
If I've missed anything important, please point it out to this assclown.

Thanks,
Thom

(Sorry I was so long winded)
wgungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
drudis

Default Re: front suspension rebuild

Quote:
Originally posted by wgungho
Hi! I'm rebuilding the front end of my 89 lx. I have on hand- BBK progressive rate springs (my old lady drives this, too), koni reds (all six), c/c plates, a new AGR rack and p/s pump,90-93 outer tie rods, poly bushings for the control arms, swaybar, and end links.
The car already has a strut tower brace, 4-point g brace, full length subs with x's, saleen panhard bar, factory five upper and lower arms, reinforced torque boxes, and a shock tower brace.
Should I retain the original length sway bar end links?

No real big gain replacing the end links, UNLESS you are going to bend of break them, like I did. DOH! THen get some serious shafts on those, forget who, but they are like 2X as think as stock.

What ball joints should I use to replace what's there? I've looked at the frpp front arms with the 96 ball joints, but I can't find any info on the bushings installed on them. These are the same as the original arms except for the ball joints and whatever the bushings are.
What alingment settings? I've gotten a ton of different settings that are each supposedly the best. I live in a rural area, and I tend to overdo driving on some of the back roads, but I also want decent tire wear.
If I've missed anything important, please point it out to this assclown.

Thanks,
Thom

(Sorry I was so long winded)

If you get control arms, the ball joints should come with them. Not really sure on specific part numbers for replacement. Saleen/Steeda(?) sell the correct height balljoints for swapping old/new parts with the mis-match in height.

Alignment, every car is unique. With the adjustability of your C/C plates... you should be able to dial in some nice settings. Dont overdo the negative camber, and you shouldnt wear out the tiress too bad.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote