MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2002, 01:13 AM   #1
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Question Time for Suspension Upgrades

Ok, so when I needed help figuring out what to do with my exhaust, everyone pitched in.

Now I'm considering upgrading the suspension. I want to stay with Steeda, since all I've heard is good news.

I'm looking at adding the subframe connectors, sport springs, and Strut tower brace. The only thing I'm worried about it bottoming out hard and causing damage. Anyone done any of this or have any advice?
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Subframe Connectors w/crossbraces
Jester4kicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 09:19 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Steeda is a very good choice. You may have some problems bottoming out and you will have to take speed bumps at an angle. Other than that you should not have much of a problem. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:29 PM   #3
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Ok, so between the Strut Tower Brace, subframe connectors, and sport springs, is there any particular order I should do this?

Also, I'm a little curious how each part will effect the vehicle. I know the sport springs lower the car and provide a tighter ride. I'm pretty sure the Strut tower brace allows for tighter cornering and holds the car level, I'm kinda clueless on the subframe connectors. Anyone care to tell me if I'm on the right track here?

Thanks
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Old 04-11-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

When you lower your mustang you will also need to get new camber plates. Strut tower helps with body roll alittle. Not sure about sub-frames. Lowering does help make handling better but I think you lose comfort.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:24 PM   #5
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

The sub frame connectors are the single best thing you can do for your Mustang. You will not notice a huge diffrenece after installing them, but it is important. The Mustang is a unibody chassis, which over time has a tendancy to sag and losen up. The subs will connect the front sub frame with the rear one, stiffening the chassis. Make sure you get full length subs with the seat mounts. This is very important if you are going to stiffen the springs, because stiffer springs will put more stress on the chassis. The suspension will be stiffened so it absorbs less, transmitting more loads up into the chassis. The subs will prevent chassis flexing under load, which will make the car feel more solid and will make the suspension absorb more of the force, instead of a combination of suspension and chassis. Mustangs that are driven hard over time will have quite a bit of chassis sag, which is why the doors never seem to line up right. Subs will prevent that.

Maximum Motorsports makes awsome subs. Check them out http://www.maximummotorsports.com/index.html. Max MS subs are as good as any on the market, if not better. I avioded the Steeda subs because they did not say if they are full length or not.

The strut tower brace will prevent the strut towers from defelcting during hard cornering and will stop the towers from vibrating at high speeds. It will not stiffen the suspension or prevent rolling like a roll bar. It will make the Stang feel a little more crisp through hard corners and eliminates vibrations coming from the towers. Max MS make a very unique strut tower brace that attaches at the pinch welds on the firewall (which is the strongest part of the firewall) instead of in the center like all other braces. Also, according to Max MS, the strut tower braces that attach to the center of the firewall can crack the firewall because that is the weakest point. They claim their ST brace will not crack the FW because it attaches to the strongest point. Don't know if their claim is true, but I have had no issues with their brace, so I can endorse it with a clear conscience.

One more thing, especially if you are going to stiffen up the springs. Get a 4-point K-frame brace -- also called a g-load bar or g-force bar. Like I said above, stiffer springs will place more load on the chassis. The front suspension arms attach to the K-frame, which will carry most of that extra force. The 4-point bar will attach between the 2 legs of the K-frame and tie back in to the chassis. This will stiffen the K-frame quite a bit and will help offset that extra load. I have stock springs and noticed a huge difference after putting on the brace. Much less vibration coming through the steering wheel and firewall because the K-frame is not vibrating at all. GT's and Cobra's come from Ford with a 2-point brace, so even they know it is needed. Maximum Motorsports makes the best 4-point K-frame brace out there (Steeda only sells a 2-point brace which does not tie the K-frame into the chassis). Check out the Max MS chassis combo kit for about $350. It comes with the full length sub frame connectors with seat mounts, 4-point K-frame brace, and strut tower brace for less than the 3 parts individually. They also have very good descriptions of each part, why they are needed, and what they will do for you on the page for each individual part.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:49 AM   #6
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Default Ok... so

Alright, subframe connectors, then sturt tower brace, then springs/g-force bar (?)/possibly sway bar. Few more quick questions while we're on the subject. The other day I say a hard top mustang with a sun roof! Obviously this must be possible, but is it possible to have one installed aftermarket, does anyone know a shop that'll do it? Or has anyone ever head of this?

Lastly, I wanna add some Saleen body parts, front facia, rear skirt, side skirts (lookin good). If I'm going to be doing this, should I consider doing the Saleen suspension to make sure it all fits right?

Thanks
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Old 04-17-2002, 08:21 AM   #7
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

There is no need to match the springs to the body parts so long as the new springs will not drop the car too low. The front fascia hangs lower than stock, so if the springs are too low, the front fascia could drag over bumps, etc. I don't think you will have a problem with any springs though, I doubt they would drop the car that far. I would not recommend the Saleen springs, they are designed for a V8, which is heavier in the front than a V6 and are stiffer to accommodate the heaver engine and rear axle. Get springs tuned for a V6 or you could have handling problems, V6 springs will have the proper front to rear balance. Steeda has some kits, as does Kenny Brown Performance (http://www.kennybrown.com/home.html).
Old 04-17-2002, 12:52 PM   #8
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Does anyone know where you can get prices for Saleen body parts? Saleen.com's parts site doesn't seem to be working

Lastly, what are those camber plates that were noted as being required when you lower the 'stang?
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Old 04-17-2002, 02:12 PM   #9
GodStang
College Stanger

CAlifornina Mustang sales Saleen.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:51 PM   #10
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

California mustang sells just the body kits in a whole, I'm really only looking for the rear facia (the dips and speed bumps up here in Colorado are insane and I'm positive the front facia would be a problem), anyone?

Also, can anyone tell me what those camber plates are?

Peace
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Old 04-18-2002, 08:41 AM   #11
99Pony3.8
Registered Member

when you lower the car, the suspension geometry (camber/caster) is thrown out of whack. The stock plates may not give you enough adjustment to compensate. The aftermarket plates have a larger range of motion so you can get things back into alignment. Check out the info provided by Max Motorsports -- they have an excellent description (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/cc.html).
Old 04-18-2002, 11:38 PM   #12
Jester4kicks
Registered Member

Default did I miss something

Ok, maybe I'm just not thinking right here... but can anyone tell me what the heck control arms are and what they do? Are they even stock or only aftermarket?

Also, can anyone list the general order I should upgrade the suspension in? I'm going to be adding parts gradually (sway bars, springs, shocks/struts, strut tower brace, and subframe connectors) but I'd like to know what order I should do all this in and what the related parts would be in each step (caster/camber plates)

Thanks again
Steeda Strut Tower Brace