MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Unhappy Godawful Bump Steer

Ever since I really started throwing some cash at my car, my greatest dream was to make her handle as if she was on RAILS. She corners pretty well, but if I hit a bump, I'm all OVER the road Also, if I'm running straight over some potholes/ruts in the road, I feel like my poor GT is going to be ripped in half!! I don't remember it being so harsh before I took the stupid quad shocks off...is that part of my problem? I also haven't installed my c/c plates yet, so I was thinking maybe the front not being aligned correctly was contributing to this MAJOR annoyance...

Help!

Signed, A wanna be road racer
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Your alignment may have alot to do with it. My '00 GT is lowered well over 2" and I don't have a noticeable bump steer problem (I don't have a bump steer kit or offset bushings). I just have MM CC plates and got it aligned after installing the front suspension.
Also, if you have a stock style rear suspension setup (no torque arm & panhard bar or Steeda 5-link type) you may want to leave the quad shocks on for now.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Sorry Belle, I just read your other post and figured out that you removed the quads due to clearance issues with your wheels. Maybe time for a torque arm setup? If you went that route you don't need the quad shocks or the upper control arms.
Out of curiousity, does flipping the quads over get you enough extra clearance? I had 10.5 R's with 315s on mine for a while and they fit OK with the quads in their stock configuration, but not sure if the clearance is the same on earlier SN95s.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:27 PM   #4
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I tried flipping them but it still squawked in hard turning, so I just yanked them completely off I'm going to get the c/c plates installed, and then look more into the setups you suggested. Thanks for your help!!

Belle
Old 07-26-2002, 06:18 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

This may be a dumb question, but have you considered throwing Koni's up there? They make an externally adjustable unit for that car, but I have no idea if they would clear better. I only run Koni's as replacements, unless I'm just dumping the car. Guess its the old guy in me.

Deuce

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:27 AM   #6
drudis

It is the REAR (or front) of the car that is getting upset over bumps and potholes?

If its the rear, WHILE on a turn, then its the axle moving side-to-side. You'll need something like a panhard to control lateral movement, and keep it centered where it belongs.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Well actually...it feels like BOTH.

The front is pulled off the straight path, like braking with worn rotors, but it happens while accelerating or maintaining speed.

However, I also feel the rear squawk sometimes as well going over uneven pavement, and when the rear tires finally grab, it lurches to one side or the other...
Old 08-03-2002, 06:45 AM   #8
srv1
Get down.....

Belle. because such a low profile and wide tire, the tire will seem to ride the worn grooves in the pavement. your axle in the rear is moving side to side along with the front. to correct this, get a Panhard for the rear and if you have bumpsteer, get the bumpsteer kit from Maxium Motorsports, then put your C/C plates on and get it aligned.
did you check your front end for tightness? tie rod play, ball joint and even bad hub bearings with cause a wander or a side to side ride. ths intensifys with wider, low profile tires. check the front end tightness and go from there. your quad shocks have nothing to do with the problems you mentioned above. they are only there to prevent axle windup.