MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2001, 08:41 PM   #1
1989GT
Registered Member

Post Got a few ?'s

Okay I autox and love it...but I'm looking for some more speed. Anyone have any sites? The class I autox in doesn't allow subframes. I'm looking at the Maximum Motorsports 6 pt roll bar. I wouldn't get the swing out door bars. Do you guys think this will stiffen the chassis enough? Also the cage is bolt in. I'm slowly putting together my suspension, which will all be MM products. Thanks!

------------------
89GT,T-5Z, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...and the list goes on!
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
PVT Blankenship leaving for BCT 14MAR01
MOS 67 Romeo

1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 09:53 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

No subframes? Hmmm. Cages and roll bars work much better if they have subframes to anchor to... But I have subframe connectors, so I'll leave that one to someone with more direct experience on the subject.

But anyway, MM is a very good company and I'm sure you will be happy with their products (and suggestions), but also check out Griggs. They make a torque arm suspension which doesn't use subframes connectors in order to stay legal in the auto-X class it sounds like your in. I don't THINK MM makes an equivalent. Or at least not yet.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 01-29-2001).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 01:28 PM   #3
drudis

Depending on the rules, will determine what you can do...
That aside, dont use bolt-in ANYTHING! Bolts allow for minor shifting between the bolt and the hole. THAT is the part you are trying to eliminate.
Get WELDED subframes first. Then, if you really think you need it, go to a welded cage. IMOHO, unless you are seriously upgrading your suspension and sticky tires, the weight of the cage and the little difference it will make, aint worth the weight.
As for companies, MM is all out good for a street car. I have been impressed with people I know that have their equipment. If you wanna spend some serious bucks, then I would call Griggs.
Try to stick with one company. You start getting mis-matched parts mixing pieces from different companies.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
autoX
Registered Member

What class do you autox in? SCCA? I am in CP with my stang, but I have subframe connecters. I know that in F stock and ESP, you can do some smaller modifications, but I don't think you can run an aftermarket intake until you are in a Modified class! I would say that your car is already modified to the point that you might as well weld in some subframe connecters. As for a cage, I was thinking that the only one you can have is a four point roll bar that is bolted in. I am sure that if you welded in a 6-point, you would be in a different class again. It just makes no sense that a class would allow a 6-point roll cage, but not allow subframe connecters!???
I didn't notice if you have autocross tires. I would say spend your money there first. Then take some driving schools. THey say that autocrossing is like 90% driving skill and 10% car set up! Spend your money in that order and you should get faster!
Good luck!

------------------
Red '90 GT - My Daily Driver w/ Kenny Brown braces & Springs, 6 KYBs, Caster/Camber Plates, Factory Five Control arms, Poly Bushings, 3.55 gears, Hurst shifter, Dynomax cat-back, Cervini 2 1/2 cowl, & Polished ROH ZR6 wheels... Griggs torque-arm and panhard bar waiting for installation!
My other toys:
Viper Blue '85 GT Convertible - Just restored and almost on the road!
Black '95 VW Jetta VR6 - To be sold as soon as the Convertible is on the road!
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 10:09 PM   #5
1989GT
Registered Member

Okay thanks for the tips! I race SCCA, I can't remember the class I'm racing in. But I know it's new(as of 2000 or 99) Yeah I know I sound dumb as hell because I can't remember it but I haven't raced in the class yet. But I know my brother-in-law will be racing in it with his eagle talon TSi and I really want to kick his a$$. But then again he's running race tires. I was running in f stock. But I haven't raced in over a year. God I miss it. What class will allow the mods I have? I don't have a rule book...guess I should get one.

------------------
89GT,T-5Z, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...and the list goes on!
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
PVT Blankenship leaving for BCT 14MAR01
MOS 67 Romeo

1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 10:32 AM   #6
autoX
Registered Member

Well, you will probably have to be considerably better of a drive to get a faster time than your brother-in-law! I have worse times than most of the 4 dr. 4 cyl. Neons out there (but maybe I just suck!) Anyway, you really should guage yourself against other cars like Camaros and Firebirds since they are built more like your car (i.e. heavy, V8, rear-wheel drive). I never win, but like you, I just love it, so I constantly go back for more!
As for what class you can race in - I am pretty sure that you are required to run a stock intake as well as stock TB and Mass air even in the Prepared class (CP)! So, with your intake I am thinking that you would have to run in a Modified class (good luck there - you run with all the formula cars and all-out trailered race cars in this class!) I know they have some newer "street touring" class or something like that, so maybe that is what you are talking about. I don't know much about that as I did not qualify for it, so I can't help you much there... I still do not have the 2001 rule book yet, but I should get one in the next few weeks or so...

------------------
Red '90 GT - My Daily Driver w/ Kenny Brown braces & Springs, 6 KYBs, Caster/Camber Plates, Factory Five Control arms, Poly Bushings, 3.55 gears, Hurst shifter, Dynomax cat-back, Cervini 2 1/2 cowl, & Polished ROH ZR6 wheels... Griggs torque-arm and panhard bar waiting for installation!
My other toys:
Viper Blue '85 GT Convertible - Just restored and almost on the road!
Black '95 VW Jetta VR6 - To be sold as soon as the Convertible is on the road!
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote