MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-06-2002, 11:33 PM   #1
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Default Help! Clunking noise in my rearend after I lowered the car!

Hi all, I just lowered my 1992 Mustang GT with the ford racing kit, but now I have this nasty clunking sound in my rearend, drivers side... The guys at discount tire think I need a different bump stop. They said the kit should have had one with it. Well mine didn't, other wise I would had installed it too! Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, if you think that a different bump stop would help, etc... Any advice is more than welcome. I also installed new shocks and struts. Everything is extremely tight, got in there with an air gun and tightened the hell out of it... The guys said that my car is basically riding on the frame. Anyway, please help! Also if you know where and what size bump stop that would be great! I'm ready to try anything!
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:57 AM   #2
drudis

There are bump stops over the axle (near the shocks), and another one over the pinion of the differential.
If you are hitting any of these, you will get a clunk, as you bottom out the car.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I think Maximum Motorsports carries short bump stops for lowered cars. My H&R springs that I bought from them for my Pace Car came with one.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
SkadonyaCA
Registered Member

Okay, well before I had even read the posts I took care of the bump stop problem. And guess what? The noise is still there! We had the car up on a lift, and were shaking the wheels, there seems to be more play in the rear axle than there should be. Broken C-clip maybe? Anyway, thats the sound that I've been hearing... Any other thoughts? I recently had new gears installed and I really don't think the guy did a good job with them... I'm hearing a slight howl and there is definite lash going on, making the car shift roughly at high RPMs. So any more advice would be useful.

Thanks!

Amanda
Ford racing springs; KYB gas adjust shocks/struts; Intake (undecided); Approx. 12 degree timing; GT-40 P heads (ported); GT-40 P headers (ported); Cobra Rockers; 65 mm Throttle body; EGR spacer; 80 mm Lightning MAF; 3.55 Ford Racing Gears; CustomChip; B&M high stall torque converter; tranny cooler; fuel pressure regulator and gauge; 175 Amp Alternator; 2000 watt Audiobahn/panasonic soundsystem; CD w/Changer, 2 - 10" Aluminum Subs; audiobahn 1 farad capacitor; Dual Cut-outs just past the primary Cats; MAC cold air induction; Reverse Indiglo guages; 9mm Wires; Window tint; underdrive pulleys
_ ___________________ _
2001 Silver GT Convert. Automatic Black top
SkadonyaCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: