MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
procharge94
Registered Member

Default I HATE asking this question

Alright, I cringe at the thought of asking this question. I have read this post too many times, and with too many vague answers posted in response. BUT, I feel the reason for all the vague responses has to do with the vaguely stated question.

I have both 3.55 and 3.73's waiting to be installed. I am building a road course car. The car is a '94 GT with worked P heads, Crane 2030 cam, and a Performer Intake. Full exhaust, no emmissions, and day-by-day losing parts in an attempt to make the car as light and 'simple' as possible. I will be running a procharger blower with the 9lb. pulley. Suspension upgrades are purchased and in line to be installed, I just need more time in a weekend. Which gear would best suit where I am going with the car? My driving style prefers to stay in a gear a bit longer, than have to shift up, just to shift back down again and possibly loose traction.

Again, I apologize, posting this was a huge crush in pride.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Default Re: I HATE asking this question

IMO the choice depends a lot on what track you plan on running the car at (how tight is it, how long are the straights), where you powerband is, and what transmission you are running (is it a close ratio 5-speed where you can use all the gears or do you need to avoid 5th)?.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
procharge94
Registered Member

It is not a close ratio, I will be avoiding 5th at pretty much all costs. Sebring will be the track this car will see most often. Right now, its just a weekend toy, but I plan to go full race in about a year, once I am out of my masters program. The car's current powerband is from about 2500-5500.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I'm not familiar with Sebring, but this is how I see it - you'll want it geared to where you can be in the meat of your powerband coming out of the most corners. Keeping up the most speed out of the corners helps you cover every inch of the straights faster. If there are a lot of long straights of course you'll want to make sure you don't have to keep going to 5th. So it also depends on how well you car handles (how fast can you actually take the corners) and how much power you're making. Based on your broad powerband 3.55s would probably be fine, but it does depend on your driving style and the track.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
drudis

It all depends...

I bought my car, and had the 3.73's in there right away. GREAT idea. Later, adding all sorts of suspension stuff and various combos of power, the 3.73's are a wee bit much. I drive many a track in 3rd the whole time, and shift only into 4th on the straights. With 500rwhp, the low end of 3rd isnt bad about 60mph, and the top of 4th takes me to about 120mph.

Again, figure out what you (or others) drive rpm-wise. Then do the math and calculate what you'll need.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #6
91 Mustang LX
91 Mustang LX

wut do you think it would be like to have 3.73 gears in a basicly stock 91 5.0? i want to still be able to drive this car around town but i want to get some more performance out of my car
91 Mustang LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
drudis

Definitely put in 3.73's on stock motor. The gears will help you multiply your torque potential.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote