MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-11-1999, 12:45 AM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Post I think my wheels are going to fall off.

I'm not joking. My whole car feels really loose. The front, the back, everywhere. I check the lugnuts weekly, and the ball joints, tie rod ends "could use replacement" all the time. Also the torque boxes and shocks and struts. This stinks.

During or right after storage I plan to do some stuff to the suspention.

Mainly, lower the car slightly with progressive rates, a bushing kit, welding the torque boxes, lower profile tires "225/60 15's now" and new shocks and struts. I'm also planning on replacing the front control arms and tie rod ends.

I'd like my car to ride just about as good as it does now, but stick in the corners a little better. I'd like some suggestions, keeping in mind I'm not racing this on the track or at the strip.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 12-11-1999).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-1999, 09:07 AM   #2
Red96GT
Registered Member

Well, it sounds like you've got the plan. New springs & struts/shocks will help the cornering, along with some sticky tires. Maybe a set of subframe connectors as well.
Do you want parts suggestions?
Springs: FMS "C" springs
Dampers: Formula GP's
SFC: Kenny Brown super subs
Tires: too many choices here

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires

H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas,MM C/C plate & GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-1999, 07:22 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I hear it on the tires. I've used Goodyear Eagle VR's, Firestone Firehawk SZ 50's, and BF Goodrich Comp TA/Vr4's. It all depends on whether or not I decide to keep the car next year. I'm in MN, and the car still has the original gray factory paint underneath, so I'm thinking it'll fetch a pretty nice penny, and if I save a bit more, I may be able to grab a '94.

Arn't the GP's a little $$?

I've also heard the subframes will make my lumberwagon ride like a cement slab. Any thoughts there?

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-13-1999, 07:46 PM   #4
Danbo
Registered Member

Wink

If I had to do it over, I would have used the KB X-treme SB's. I think the Matrix brace is the best engineered chassis brace out there.
Stiffer is always better.
Dan

------------------
'96 Cobra, Steeda G-Trac
Stage III Suspension, K&N
Filter,77mmPro-M,FMS Ceramic
Coated Headers,Bassini-X Pipe,
FMS Al D/S, FMS 3.73's, Cobra R's ,
Firestone SZ-50 275-40x17's,
Powerslot Rotors, Preformance Friction Z rated pads,
(Track PF90 Compound pads),Steeda Tri-Ax,
Schroth Restraints,Kuhmo Victoracers(for the track)
Steeda Functional Wing.
1:32min @ Summit Point

Danbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-1999, 09:12 AM   #5
drudis

Cool

The subframes will make your car ride BETTER!!! I installed some in my car, and WOW, what a difference. THe suspension actually moved, not the driver's seat. I can agree with you on getting stiff springs/shocks. Those arent for the faint at heart.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-1999, 01:55 AM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

It's not that I can't handle them, it's just that I'd like my car to ride more like a Grand Touring car than a brick. I'd like to tweak the suspention into a nice balanced setup, a little better roadholding, and a little better ride quality.

I've heard progressives that are not very aggressive can actually improve everyday ride, and cornering. Of course good shocks and struts will help too.

I'm glad to hear subframes will help the ride out. I have an '87 GT hatch, so it could definately use a little stiffning.

I'll just have to see for now, what my budget looks like, and how much they are selling for in the spring.
Old 12-15-1999, 04:22 PM   #7
feweathers
Registered Member

Tokico Illumina 5-Way Adjustable shocks would fill the bill for you. You can soften the setting for the street, turn firm 'em up for the track. The settings adjust both rebound and compression.

------------------
Frank
'95 Mustang GT Convertible

feweathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-1999, 08:46 AM   #8
Red96GT
Registered Member

He said he's not racing it, so I thought that 5 ways were a bit much for a street car @ $500/4 .
Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: