MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-12-2003, 03:26 AM   #1
mlsbraves
Registered Member

Default Getting first Mustang!, need advise...

I'm 18 and I just graduated high school. As a graduation present, I am getting a new car. I have always loved Mustangs so thats what I'm going to get. But I'm not sure excactly what I want. Thats where I was hoping to get some advise from some of you.

A V8 is a must, so I've been looking at the GT's. I was also considering getting a convertible but have been told its not a good idea by some people(mainly because of: leaking, security, and hard to keep warm in winter). The GT convertible is $29,000 witch is the same price as the Mach I(All my friends want me to get the Mach I). My other issue is standard or automatic. I have driven automatic since I've been driving, and have tried standard a few time but I must say I burn the hell out of that clutch . When I told the person at the Ford dealership about my concern about this he told me that the more I use the car, the more I will want standard.

So I'm faced with: Convertible or Hard top, if hard top should I get a Mach I, and should I get Standard or Automatic.

If you don't really have an answer, could you just tell me your experiences and what you like most about your Stang. I've looked around but I'm still not sure. Hoping you can help me out.
mlsbraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
Axman
Registered Member

You can learn a stick shift quickly enough. I have almost no problem with my 92 ragtop leaking. If you are in a high crime area you may not want one, same goes if you live in a rainy area. I drive mine with the top down on my days off weekly but I'm in Arizona. Insurance doesn't cost me any more for my 'vert than for my S-10, or my VW for that matter. If you wish, test drive each one, drop the convertible top and test drive it, then take the HT out. See which one you feel fits you. Also look into other special editions, i.e. Bullitt, Cobra, etc. Compare prices and don't jump into one right away. Classic Mustangs are also out there, I wouldn't mind having a 1966 GT350.

So many choices so little time.
Rice Hater's Club member #213

"If you've got it, get more, then flaunt it!"
"...More power, arr arr!" --Tim Allen

1992 LX convertible, 2.3L 165 hp, I can't get it from the wife..
1983 Chevy S-10, 2.8L engine, T4 trans, my daily driver.
1973 VW Beetle, 1.6L engine 57 hp.
1979 Chevy Malibu Wagon, 305/350, 250 hp more on the way.
1978 Honda Frankencivic CVCC, Ford 460 big block, C6 trans, currently rated @208 hp more on the way.
Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:07 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Well, I will give you my opinion. That's all I can offer.

I never liked convertibles:

1) Yeah, security is an issue.
2) Putting up and down the top (I assume it gets old after a while)
3) Burning hot seats in the summertime. Sun burning your neck.
4) Top down so you have to crank up radio to hear thus soon going deaf
5) If you run at the dragstrip, if you do 13.99 or better you have to have a friggging roll cage (at least 5-point), whereas with a hardtop you have to get to 11.99 or quicker b4 you need a 5-point cage.
6) Verts are heavier
7) More crap to maintain (motors for top to go up and down, the vinyl top itself b/c if not it will deteriorate faster than a hardtop, etc)
8) A little less space in back seats
9) Hardtops just look better/cleaner, IMO
10) Hardtops are less $$$

Concerning manual or auto. Autos are just less troublesome, practically speaking. Think about it. You're sitting at a light trying to talk to your girl while sipping a sodee pop and the light changes. Now you gotta find your cup holder and shift through all the gears while talking to your girl. Everyday, day in day out whenever you drive the car, you'll be pressing a clutch and shifting through gears... when it's wet also, you gotta be more careful b/c they are easier to spin out during acceleration in the 1rst and 2nd gears. Another scenario, you come to a light and this punk in his Honda CRX V-tech Type R SiR GT-R () is trying to show off to his preteen girl how cool he is by revving you and challenging your stang. Light turns you launch in 1rst, come out grab second and you got him by a half of car length thinking "BYE BYE," but right when you go to shift into 3rd, OOPS, you slam right into the space b/t 1rst and 3rd and he fly's past you to the next traffic light, now you're too embarassed and his little girl friend is laughing at you and punk kid now thinks he's fast and furious. Just something for you to think about.

BUT, if you an auto, the more you you see manuals out there, hear them, and understand their potential, you will probably want one. They're fun if you have them in a car like a stock mustang and super fun if you're driving a moderately to highly modded stang.

With all this I've probably reopened up a can of "Manuals are better than Autos" worms, but I can tell you what, you'll never hear me say while driving my '79 "Oh wait a minute, less race again, I missed *insert gear here* gear....

If I were you, I'd get a manual (just get use to it) hardtop GT (like Blue00GTs mustang-- that is one nice stang).

GLad you have the sense to get a V8...good for ya IN anything though, spend a lot of time (perhaps a few weeks to a month) and do the research. Don't rush things. Consider stuff like future mods and how they will fit on your new car b/c trust me, the mod bug will soon bite you and you cannot escape it's grasp. MMMMMuuuuwwwwwwwwwaaaaahh ha ha aha ah ha ahaha ha.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

i am going to get it from the automatic lovers but here goes, i believe that you dont really understand how to drive a car untill you master driving the manual transmission car. why do i say that? you really dont understand the mechanics of driving, and you are less apt to pay full attention to your driving if you only drive automatics. i know this because i have not only driven both over the years, but i currently own both. autos are easier for driving around town, and sometimes i wish my falcon had an auto(it may get one, one day). then there are the times when i am driving a winding road and wished my grand marquis had a 5 spd. that said, get the salesman to let you take a long test drive(about 20 miles in various types of traffic) in both and then decide. remember you have to drive in rush hour, downtown, on the freeway, and on a back road if you can. and when driving the stick car, think that you will have to do this ALL THE TIME.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:37 AM   #5
jj_jonathon
Trisket

first off, congrats on graduation and the gift! i got mine a year ago (june 12th) for graduation!

i got a 2002 gt vert....lemme tell you...if you arent one of those diehard non-vert type people, the vert is awesome...they always look cooler than the coupes (especially in black on black)...cruising with the topdown never gets old, plus, it DOES NOT leak! this i the first convertable i've seen that doesnt have leaking problems...so if youre torn between coupe/vert because you think the vert will leak or suck, youre wrong...but if youre torn because you dont like the vert or the extra weight, get the coupe...but if youre set on a mach 1 (gorgeous car, faster than the gt by a lot) then by all means, get one ....but whatever you do....GET A 5 SPEED!! mines an automatic and its the ONE thing i regret about it...i rushed into getting the first avail black vert and it was an auto....first off, theyre a HELLUVA lot slower! some people swear against that, but trust me...its true...second is, you lose out on all the fun from shifting in a mustang! so i suggest getting the standard if youre into driving the car like a sports car...

so basically...get a vert if you like em (nothing bad except the extra weight) and if not, get a mach 1 but make sur eyou grab a 5 speed or you WILL be kicking yourself....

also, if you get a 5speed, get a pro 5-0 shifter for it....i was never really good at shifting until i drive a friends stang with a pro 5-0 shifter in it....helps a bunch!

hope this helps you out!
-jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:13 AM   #6
aford50lx
Registered Member

CONGRATS YOU MADE IT!!! Hell i wish my dad got me a gift like that when i graduated. First let me say that if you never owned a fast car like a stang,you should learn to handle it,there are far too many kids your age killing themselfs in cars that daddy bought them,that goes for any car,not just stangs.Second if you really cant drive a stick too well,you should get the auto,yes you will learn to drive a stick,but at the price of shredding your clutch as you said in your post.Belive me that will be costly.Third my buddy has a 2002 vert and its all that,its fast,it has an auto(modified) and it looks bad as hell! He does not have a problem with leaks,we live in jersey and its raining all the time lately.Its all up to you what do you want to say when your cruzin down the road,and people look at your ride?Just remember that ride can take your life,and how would your parents feel if something happened to you in this GIFT that they bought you? I own a 92 lx and i love it,its solid lighter and its a fox!!!!!Its also a stick just feels beeter to me,and MUCH faster!!!!!! Anyway enjoy!!!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:28 AM   #7
lx5091
Registered Member

Convertibles are so fun to drive in during the summer and manual shift is the way to go, but damn the MACH 1 is so BAAAADDD.....I'd buy one in a heart beat if I could afford it....that is not a car you see everyday, either!

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Great advice, but if you do go coupe.

Definately get the Mach 1. Absolutely awesome.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote