MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
jeffnichols
Registered Member

Default IRS on a fox body

hey guys I am in the process of building my 1991 mustang gt into a mean "corner hugger". My plan is to drop a 347 stroker blown into the beast, a t56 trans, new drive shaft, 373 or 355 gears in the rear, bear brake slotted/cross drilled w/ the 5 lug conversion, 17 inch gun metal cobra R rims wraped with nitto tires. Suspension is going to to be D&D motorsports tubular k member, A arms and so on. And this is why I am posting this message. I want to know if anyone has seen a IRS rear end on a fox body mustang? Are there kits? I had a 91 ford t-bird and that had the IRS in the rear. One of my co workers suggested that I put the t-birds rear end on the mustang. Does anyone know if that is possible? And will the diff. axles hold the torque and hp?
jeffnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You can swap a '99+ Cobra IRS right in. The best way is to find someone who wants to trade for your straight axle, because otherwise places that sell take-out units are asking like $1500-2000 (Mustang Parts Specialties for example). There is alot of info on this if you do a search on cornercarvers.com or corral.net.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
drudis

If you search enough message boards, you may find and IRS install... (i've seen them before).

As for the k-member, I would NOT do the drag race ones (i.e. D&D) but go with MaxMotorsports or Griggs....

Cobra brakes are fine, bus as I found out, you'll eventually want more. And will go with the 2000R Brembos. THAT is waht you'll finally settle on.

Sounds like you are building quite a machine, plan carefully, so you dont have to re-do stuff more than once.

See my homepage for many mods I did...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: