MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Rear axle removal question

Ok i thought how hard could it be to remove the axles from my 8.8 rear end. Upon opening the rear cover there is a clip in the shape of an S ? How do i remove the axles? I have never done this before and just ordered a new rear end so i need my old axles. P. S. this rear end is going in the trash so i just dont want to hurt the axles. I have heard of c clips but this clip looks like it holds both axles.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
Marc91gt
Registered Member

The s-shaped spring is the preload spring, which should be left in place when removing the axles. Rotate the carrier until you see a small bolt( 8mm if I remember correctly). This is the differential pinion shaft lock bolt. It holds the pinion shaft, which you can see going through the s-shaped spring. Remove the bolt and the pinion shaft can be tapped out. Just rotate the carrier until the shaft can be removed. Now, all you have to do is push one axle at a time inward until the copper colored c-clip is exposed. Just pull the clip out with some needle nosed pliers and the axle slides right out. Repeat for the other side. It's pretty easy once you get started. Hope this helps.
91gt: 3.73 rear, frp aluminium driveshaft, frp hd clutch, t5z, bbk control arms, polyurethane bushings everywhere, 5-lug conversion with black bullit wheels,paxton sn-89(now deceased after 11 years), offroad hpipe w/ flows, 130amp alt upgrade and a big wish list with little cash!
Marc91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Thanx, got it. Its that small bolt i couldnt find. New rear end is on its way...
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote