MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
my9250GT

Default lowering springs

Anyone know if i should put the rubber looking thing(i don't know what they are called but it is all four springs) thats inside the stock springs of a 92 mustang into the new eibach springs?
my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
lx5091
Registered Member

spring isolators? no, you should put new ones they have several benefits, including keeping the ride from being TOO HARSH. I recommend PST isolators...

they charge $25/set front and $35/set rear, totalling $60+S&H

www.p-s-t.com

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #3
Conman
Registered Member

are you talking about the rubber bits that go on either end of the spring (spring isolators) or the rubber tube that goes straight up the middle of the springs (not sure what they are called or what they do). New spring isolators are a good idea but I did not bother with the other bits

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:57 PM   #4
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I reused the stock ones (that were still there) on my car. I don't think that new ones are necessary. I think that rubber ones will give transmit less vibrations than poly.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
my9250GT

its the rubber tubes inside the spring.
should those be placed in the new springs?

I had some eibachs springs put on and i feel almost every bump in the road i hope the springs just need to break in and the ride quality changes!
thanks
my9250GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:18 AM   #6
Technick
Registered Member

As a general ruel springs do NOT mke for a harsh ride, unless you have like big-block springs in a small block car. It is the shocks and struts that control the ride quality. If you put a better spring on the car but leave the stock shocks and struts on the car the ride quality will suffer. The stock shocks and struts were designed to control a stock spring, not a higher rate spring, or progressive rate or specif rate, basically any aftrermarket spring. The shocks and struts are designed to control the spring oscillations, you know, jounce and rebound. By putting a higher rate spring in the car the shock and struts can no longer control the spring oscillation, resulting in a harsh ride. If you improve the quality of the shock and strut to match the spring then the ride quality will come back.