MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
raptor
Registered Member

Default New 4cyl Springs or Lowering Springs?

Hi guys. I want to know which way to go. My car is a daily summer driver. I race, light to light and hammer down on the highway. My suspension has not been touched still OME. I don't really want to lower it a lot. I can get a set of 4cyl springs for almost free. I only want to change springs and struts/shocks. This is what I'm looking for...... I want the cars rearend to squat when hammered on but keeping it stable in the corners and I dont want to change the ride hieght all that much.

All suggestion welcomed.

Thanks!
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: New 4cyl Springs or Lowering Springs?

Quote:
Originally posted by raptor
Hi guys. I want to know which way to go. My car is a daily summer driver. I race, light to light and hammer down on the highway. My suspension has not been touched still OME. I don't really want to lower it a lot. I can get a set of 4cyl springs for almost free. I only want to change springs and struts/shocks. This is what I'm looking for...... I want the cars rearend to squat when hammered on but keeping it stable in the corners and I dont want to change the ride hieght all that much.

All suggestion welcomed.

Thanks!
Why don't you just remove the front sway bar first, and relocate the battery to the trunk? If you feel comfortable with how the car feels around corners at that point, then go ahead and replace the springs with the 4 cylinder springs.
I believe if you just purchase a set of lowering springs that your car will handle better in the corners but not on the straight aways with out more considerable work.
my 02 cents
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
raptor
Registered Member

420nitro you never answered anything. Maybe too much 420?? I dont want to remove the swaybar I said I still wanted it to corner good. Battery is in the back. "More considerable work" what? I want to make it squat when hammered on.

I want to know what springs to use (without going too low 1/2in-1 1/2in max)
What struts and shocks (I dont want to break the bank either)

The more info the better.

Thanks Everyone
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

its going to be tought to get the best of both worlds. If you want the car to really hook off a stop light or something why dont you go with a set of southside lift bars. These lower control arms will probably give you a more noticable improvement over springs.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #5
jsams
Registered Member

go ahead and put the 4 banger springs in front and go with the stock springs in back with south side bars or megabite jrs. i would then put the kyb agx shocks up front since they are ajustable. they arent that much 119.oo from summit. i would then put lakewood 50/50 in the back. it should still handle decently and hook.
jsams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
420nitro you never answered anything. Maybe too much 420?? I dont want to remove the swaybar I said I still wanted it to corner good. Battery is in the back. I want to make it squat when hammered on.

The more info the better.

Thanks Everyone
Look,..all I mean is to take it easy first,...you know baby steps, before you spend a lot of wasted money on a route that might not be exactly what you want. What might be good for me and another guy doesn't mean that it will be good for you. If your not into removing the sway bar because of handling purposes then maybe a good set of stickey tires (like drag radials or road race tires) is what you really should go after with a good set of lower control arms like the south sides or mega-bites like listed earlier by someone else.
You also mentioned that your trying not to spend to much money, so the advise that I gave you, was to see what you like,.. with out spending money. (I personnaly don't mind driving a car with no sway bars.)

"More considerable work" what?

Well,..what I meant was going to a complete suspension kit from like Griggs, Steeda or even Saleen to mention a few. There kits would include things like control arms, panhard bar, bigger sway-bars, there specific rate springs (I personnally like Eibach Pro kit), Adjustable struts and shocks (KYB, Koni, just to mention a few.)
But this of course takes some money,...maybe more then you care to spend.
You can also try to remove all unwanted weight from the front for better weight transfer. Remove things such as A/C or how about putting on a late weight fiberglass hood.
I can keep going and going...

Maybe you should be more specific.
Your meaning of being able to handle a corner is very vague. Everyone has a different meaning of a good or bad handling car.
That's another reason why I said to TRY IT out first. (removing the sway bar.) I personnally don't understand why you would put on 4 cylinder springs with out removing the sway bar?

How about just replacing the front struts with a pair of 90/10's and call it a day?
Hope this helps
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 PM   #7
soon2Bturbo
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by raptor
[B]420nitro you never answered anything. Maybe too much 420??

Hey raptor...from what i can see, 420 did help answer your q. He tried to point you in the right direction, w/o spending 2 much $. You should be appreciative that people try to help you. Oh, by the way, is 420 cubes too much 4 you 2 handle? Just kidding. Good luck w/ your Explorer heads.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
raptor
Registered Member

Hey soon2Bturbo thanks for your input. (Nothing)

420 is a jail term used in jail for smoken pot, ain't it? I agree baby steps.

Thanks RoadWarrior and jsams.

I think I will go with the Frt sway-bar remove. cheap first. right? And then the rear control arms leaving in the OE rear springs. Hmmm I wonder how it will sit? The springs r 1988 OE.

If the front springs are for a 4cyl which is lighter than an 8 how will this cause better wieght transfer to the rear? Or do 4yl springs just drop it? Because I would like to keep the OE ride hieght, But stiffen up the front and soften the rear.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
1.Hey soon2Bturbo thanks for your input. (Nothing)

2. 420 is a jail term used in jail for smoken pot, ain't it? I agree baby steps.

3. I think I will go with the Frt sway-bar remove. cheap first. right?
1. that says a lot about you. soon's input was great
2. http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/m...420meaning.htm
3. cheap??? its free

if u want answers to your questions, i suggest you listen to people instead of downing them and making enimies
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #10
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop
1. that says a lot about you. soon's input was great
2. http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/m...420meaning.htm
3. cheap??? its free

if u want answers to your questions, i suggest you listen to people instead of downing them and making enimies

Ok, cool, thanks to "soon to be turbo" and "GhettoPop". No I do not or have any desire to smoke pot or allow it in my house. I don't smoke anything or drink (ok a little beer here and there but, my log in name has never ment (to me anyways pot). If you simply just look at my sign. you will realize that I have 420 cubic inches and run nitrous. (besides all the good names are already used up).
The only addiction I have and seeking help for, is the need for speed.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #11
raptor
Registered Member

420nitro I didn't mean to offend you. But I was right about the meaning of 420. I dont even know you and dont care about your habbits. I like you, want to go faster. Thanks nitro

Hmmm seems like the only person I dissed was soon2Bturbo after all he didn't say anything about the info I'm looking for. And whats with all this nit picking?

HELLO gettopop I see you are like that turbo guy. You say lots of nothing to do with my info request. But you, like him, like to preach as well. Thanks for your help mom.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #12
420nitro
Registered Member

Hey Raptor,
When I give advice on something, I TRY to keep it somewhat general so you can think for yourself. I can point you in the right direction,.. and you can fine tune what you want, your way! That's what makes everything intresting about racing. There are so many different ways to do things,...all to get to the same point. So when some one gives you advice just take it in stride. I always try to get as much input as possiable so I here all the goods and bads from every angle, No matter how off it may sound AT THE MOMENT, it might hit you later like a ton of bricks.

As goes for downing me (maybe just a big misunderstanding) but I would be very cautious, I personnally could gave 2 shytes what someone thinks of me, but could open a big door for people to start ripping into you. Especially with a combo you have listed in your signiture!
Good luck with all you problems or soon to be.
Sincerely,
420nitro (meaning 420 cubic inches)

Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #13
raptor
Registered Member

420nitro Whats wrong with my combo? Seems to work really good. I'm saving for a pair of TFS heads, thats the only thing I think I'm lacking. But for now I'm playing with the suspension. As I said my combo works really good. I haven't met a stang I couldn't beat in my neighbrohood.

Peace

Raptor = bird of prey
Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #14
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You cant squat the rear without raising the front of the car upon acceleration.

4 cylinder springs are not as stiff and allow the front end to raise up and put more weight on the rear tires. The springs do however drop the front of the car about an inch.

Lift bars will not give you the effect that you are after the back of the car will raise up not squat upon acceleration.

Upper and lower control arms are a must on fox body stangs IMO.

After I removed my sway bar last year I did not feel like it was worth it. I gained very little performance and the car did not feel very stable at 110mph.

There isnt a set-up that is good for handling and drag racing. You have to choose.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Ok man, here goes

Quote:
420nitro Whats wrong with my combo? Seems to work really good. I'm saving for a pair of TFS heads, thats the only thing I think I'm lacking. But for now I'm playing with the suspension. As I said my combo works really good. I haven't met a stang I couldn't beat in my neighbrohood.

Peace

Raptor = bird of prey
Ok here goes,.. this is how I would do it. Keep in mind that what I like does not mean you will like it, or that someone else might not like.
1) Lose your entire exhust. Especially your cats with no mufflers combo

Get a set of good full length headers like Mac or BBk. A set of off-roads and MUFFLERS. Turn downs or tailpipes. (will help out a lot on spray) 2.5 inch
2) how much are you spraying? Less then 125? Change cams. I don't like the B-cam! the E-cam will make you faster on motor but slower on spray. You can also just get a better cam all together! look into the Twisted Wedge cams or Comps Cams Extreme Energy series. Or go custom.
3)Suspension
Touchy subject huh??
mind you, this is what I would do, maybe a little to hard core for you, I don't know...but it works awsome!!!! not for corners though.
Eibach drag race kit. All four springs with the air bag. Lakewood 90/10's up front with 50/50 rear shocks. You can get adjustable too, just more money.
South side lift bars, with the battle boxes from Wild Rides.
REMOVE the sway bars (front and back)
All unwanted weight from the front if any.
Get a set of stickey tires or slicks.
Don't forget a driveshaft loop if you already don't have one.
3.73 gears or 4.10.
weld on Sub frame connectors
You get the idea.
The above mentioned kit hooked my 12.40 combo car off spray on the street leaving @5 grand with a 150 shot!!! Never ran it at the track on spray because I was a big street racer at the time. I believe the car was some where in the 11.30's to 11.70 range conservitively.
4) Heads
I hope your really getting something like Tfs or Afr's for that 331.
Theres more, but I am getting tired of righting this book!
You think your fast now, just wait till you really wake it up and hook!!!
I hope you know how to tune a car. If it is a 331 in a stock block there is no room for error on spray!!
Good Luck
Old 02-25-2004, 11:46 AM   #16
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Your car will feel like an un-stable piece of S H I T for every day driving if you remove the front and rear sway bars.

I removed mine trying to get quicker 60ft times and quickly decided that this was not a good idea. I then learned that the fast stangs at the track I race at are all running rear sway bars. As a matter of fact they are running thicker that stock rear sway bars.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #17
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
Your car will feel like an un-stable piece of S H I T for every day driving if you remove the front and rear sway bars.

I removed mine trying to get quicker 60ft times and quickly decided that this was not a good idea. I then learned that the fast stangs at the track I race at are all running rear sway bars. As a matter of fact they are running thicker that stock rear sway bars.

JMO,
Thats right, there are most likely running an anti-roll bar not a sway bar.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #18
raptor
Registered Member

Nitro I just check my signature and I have to update it My user ride is updated but not this. I have an offroad pipe and Flow Masters 2 1/2in and tailpipes, Shorty headers though. Yes I know about the heads. I was eyeballing TFS heads and there cams to team with the heads. Dont tell anyone 125 I plan on bolstering my mains and steppin up the fuel system and sprayin 200-300
once I get some heads. I've got tuning the engine down just not the suspension.

Here's my exact specs. http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?378

It does seem to be true Dark_5.0 One or the other

Well thanks guys I know now that its not possible to have the best of both worlds when it comes to suspensions. Drag verses Street. I guess I must rethink how, where this car will be punished. Most likely all street racing. Maybe a few trips to the track this year who knows.

Peace

raptor