MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-14-2001, 12:41 AM   #1
oamunoz

Post squeeking

I have a lot of squeeking coming from my front driver side. I tried filling all of the zerks with grease, but one of the two on the upper A arms seems to be clogged with dry grease. I already replaced the zerk with a new one and had the same problem, so the grease is on there tight. My questions is, do I have to take apart the whole upper arm assembly from the car just to clean and clear the dry grease from the bushings? If so, has anyone ever done this before, and could you give me a description about how to do this, as this is the first time I deal with the suspension on my car.

oamunoz
Old 09-14-2001, 09:55 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Regretfully, you will have to remove the upper control arm to fix this problem. I would recommend getting a manual to help guide you threw this.

But it is pretty straight forward, first you will need to remove the shock, then lift the front end off the ground and go get a spring compressor, usually the local parts stores are loaning these out free. Get the internal type they are more reliable, compress the spring remove it and treat it with respect, these things can kill you if they let go. Remove the nuts on the inside of the shock tower and disconnect the upper ball joint and it is out. Remember to also check for shims and make sure they go back where they came from, this is for aligning the front end.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

oamunoz, if this car is a '65-73 Stang with the original suspension, I would seriously consider a complete rebuild of the suspension and steering.

I got my parts from Mustang Plus in Ca. Not cheap, but all top quality parts. They have everything from bone stock to road race and everything in between. Get their catalogue or go online to see their stuff. I'm sure lots of other outfits (Canadian Mustang, etc.) have the same things. I can only vouch for Mustang Plus.

You can do all this stuff yourself with a good shop manual. I even alligned my car myself in the driveway with lots of trial and error and reallignment (take it to a shop if you have any sense).

The point here is of course, is that a 30 yr. old car needs a complete suspension and steering rebuild.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote