MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-1999, 03:37 PM   #1
Rebel79
News Editor

Post New suspension technology

I might as well start this forum off:

I am purchasing a custom suspension from Global West, which is their Level 4.

It comes with:
Lower A-arm bushing
Caster/Camber Plates
680lb Front Springs
Double Adjustable Koni's
Rear Lower Control Arms
A HP rated set of rear springs
Trac-Link Bar

I was told that this is the BEST suspension setup for a SN-95 Mustang. It will be setup for Drag Racing, but can easily adjusted for Road Racing.

The rear spings, are new, custom springs. Global West will not tell me who makes them or what they are rated at. They simply asked me how much rwhp I had and they matched me up with these springs.

How do you think this suspension will compare to other aftermarket ones? Or custom ones?

BTW Dan, great thinking on this new forum!

------------------
'94 Cobra
308ci, ported GT-40 heads, Crane 2031 cam .513"/.529" lift 276°/282° duration, 70mm TB, Custom 80mm MAF, JMS chip, Vortech S-trim 8#, MSD, TREX fuel pump, Accel coil, 3.55's, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, and 2-chamber flows.
1994 Mustang Cobra
Check out the pics of my Motor Buildup!
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-1999, 03:46 PM   #2
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Sounds good, I cant wait to get a GW setup in my car... needs more power first though. Im gonna go with the 170/800 springs.

Sky

------------------
1989 Saleen #406, TFS Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 1 5/8 Mac, 2.5" Off road H, 2 Chambers, 3.73 gears, MSD6a, elec fan, March 5.0 Ram air, March Pulleys, Alum driveshaft, No ET yet.

1994 Integra LS: Bone stock! Atleast the tires dont go up in smoke!
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-1999, 10:35 PM   #3
Blown91
Registered Member

Thumbs up

About suspensions....I have just got into road racing and jumped into it head first... i have talked to people all over the country and asked their opinions about which suspension is the best... From Griggs to Global West, to Hotchkis to Saleen, to Factory 5 and many more....then i finally got to drive in a griggs car... Apex Motorsport in Santa Clara Bill's car... then i finally got to drive in one at sears point.. and while we were RACING a mustang comes flying by he started last and we were third and he blew past us...and guess what it was a Global West full system.... anyways so i call GW and talked to them stage 4 with double adjustables 2800 to my door and bolts on... went to griggs in sonoma <because it was a real toss up between the 2> 5000 dollars in parts and 2000 dollars in labor because of custom welding... and then i talked to GW and they told me what was wrong with Griggs and i talked to Jon griggs and he said the samething but he told me how he "compesated" for it... anyways GW all the way for the money and performance!
Blown91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-1999, 05:16 AM   #4
st5150
Registered Member

You shouldn't rule out IPS... check out:
http://www.ipschassis.com/ipstechnol...s/Products.htm

for more info, I think their top of the line system takes the cake....(and the bank!)

------------------
1989 LX 5.O AOD with-K&N panel filter-Two Chamber Flowmasters-3.73s-ASP underdrive pulleys-180 degree thermostat-12 degrees timing-B&M Tranny cooler-Electric Fan Conversion. 14.48@95.5 mph
http://free.prohosting.com/~st5150/

[This message has been edited by st5150 (edited 12-03-1999).]
st5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-1999, 03:47 PM   #5
Zephyr

Thumbs up

I will get into here and just introduce myself and my Mustang. I have been roadracing for a "little" while with a pretty extensively modified mustang. I designed/built my own torque-arm/panhard suspension on an S-trimed car.
Go to my website to see some of my work. http://216.59.112.100/~drudis
and check out some of my video clips here at Mustangworks under the Autocross section.
Darius
Old 12-03-1999, 04:13 PM   #6
turbolx
Registered Member

Red face

Be VERY CAREFUL about letting one manufacturer "educate" you about what is "wrong" with their competitor's product. The simple fact is that each of these systems have thier own merits (which may vary from performance to price), and you really have to experience driving the different types of suspensions to know which will really work best for YOU.

Every one of these systems makes at least one compromise somewhere, they just don't want you to know where their compromises were made all the time.

That being said, I followed Darius' (Zephyr) path and saved money by fabricating part of my own suspension. IMHO, the torque arm is far more forgiving and better suits both my driving style and vehicle expectations.

------------------
93 LX
Incons, Baers, Torque Arm, Stereo

turbolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-1999, 06:44 AM   #7
Gwar
Registered Member

Hi everybody. Please forgive my ignorance - what exactly does a torque arm do? More later. Much more I think

------------------
Bill - Killer of Sprinkled Donuts
Gwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-1999, 08:35 PM   #8
Danbo
Registered Member

In the Jan 2000 ed. of 5.0 Mustang they did an article that described most of the popular suspensions. UNFORTUNATELY, they didn't compare them to each other. You know,
equal motors and drivers, different suspenders. That would be too easy, and real
objective journalism.( It would prob cost them advertising dollars.) But at least the article described each system and some costs. Suspension is alot like HP, ...got money..then you can buy the best IPS chassis
has to offer.(Face it...if I had 80+k for a car I'd be driving a 911S4) I don't know which is really faster..Saleen,GWest,KBrown,Griggs..Steeda in the $1500-3000 "reality" range ?
Anyone have opinions on which is both faster and easier to drive and at which level of talent...(I felt like Shumacher once ..then I woke up from a great dream).

DAN

------------------
'96 Cobra, Steeda G-Trac
Stage III Suspension, K&N
Filter,77mmPro-M,FMS Ceramic
Coated Headers,Bassini-X Pipe,
FMS Al D/S, FMS 3.73's, Cobra R's ,
Firestone SZ-50 275-40x17's,
Powerslot Rotors, Preformance Friction Z rated pads,
(Track PF90 Compound pads),Steeda Tri-Ax,
Schroth Restraints,Kuhmo Victoracers(for the track)
Steeda Functional Wing.
1:32min @ Summit Point

Danbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: