MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-2001, 03:28 PM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post Rebuild or new assembled short block?(longer)

Well I only have 90,000 miles, I say only loosely,because some other stangers in here have been going for 200-300,000 miles.I was wondering, I have some oil in one of my spark plug threads, and I am a little nervous, this thing has been babied and well cared for. I got some new heads, but someone said that could make things worse if it is the rings or valve guides, but I cannot afford to do too much after a few recent purchases(just saw the oil in the plug)So now I am wondering if I should wait until late spring, early summer and not put anything on and look into a new short block from Summit or something. But then I am unsure how much all of this would cost a shop to do..I am hesistant to do this on my own.I could remove the intake, heads, etc, to lessen the cost, but I am just trying to see if anyone has done this, should and can I wait, and should I look into a rebuild kit, or new assembled short block. Thanks in advance.
(maybe a compression check or leak down test wouls help me decide. How do you do a compression check, and do I need an air compressor?(sp)
Kevin

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 07:23 PM   #2
Brian88
Registered Member

throw your parts on thier and go.
Brian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 07:30 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Kevin, to do the compression test you need to get a compression tester, pull all the plugs, the tester goes into the plug hole in the head, you turn the motor over and take a reading, then you put a little bit of oil in the plug hole maybe a tsp tops then put the gauge back on and turn it over agin, if the compression goes up it the rings if the compression goes down it the valve guides.

I think you are probably fine but do the compression test to get a idea of whats up, your factory valve guides maybe weak, we took the heads off my dads 93 Cobra at 40M miles and he had two bad valve seals and some weak valve guides and the car had never been driven hard. If the car has been taken care off with constant oil changes you should be fine, do the test and bolt on those GT40p's and have at it. Are you swapping cams at the same time?

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote