MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2001, 11:27 AM   #1
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Red face Please Help, I'm Lost!

The Problem: Front tires rubbing the rear of the wheel wells (where the mud flaps are mounted)

How it is induced: By hard braking, especially when the steering wheel is turned to the left

Background: I got into a car accident where I squarely ran into a tall 8 inch curb. The force of the impact dented the lip of my front rims and tore-up the front end nicely. I have since replaced all necessary parts (i think)... this includes the bumper cover, the fog light mounting brackets, a stabilizer bar, and I even replaced the shocks and struts for the hell of it. Nevertheless the damn tires still rub. Do you think the front control arms may be bent? I took the car to Town Fair Tire and asked them to align the car and check for any parts that might need to be replaced. They told me the arms were still good. Could a simple bushing change in the front control arms do the trick? This is really bugging the hell out of me, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-John
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 12:46 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If your control arms don't seem to be damaged and the tires are still rubbing the back of the wheel well, your K-member is probably bent. I would suggest a tubular K-member, but of course it's a lot of work and money to buy and put one on.
A quick fix for now might be to get the offset front control arm bushings that move them forward slightly. I think Steeda may sell these (their old #20 SCCA racer that got totalled had them).

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports full suspension, Weld Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2 chmbr flo's, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 rpm stall
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 01:24 PM   #3
drudis

Your K-member may be not square. Not necessarily bent, just not aligned.
Sounds like the collision shop needs to complete their fixing.
Sure, you can buy parts like Griggs K-members and offset bushings to move the control arms foward. Look at the root cause, ITS BROKE, fix it.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote