MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Corner Carvers Delight (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tires for the track (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=14977)

Danbo 12-22-1999 05:00 PM

Tires for the track

I'm concidering swaping from Kuhmo victoracers to BFG g-force R-1's . Anyone running them,and what do you think of them. I've heard mixed things.
Dan

------------------
'96 Cobra, Steeda G-Trac
Stage III Suspension, K&N
Filter,77mmPro-M,FMS Ceramic
Coated Headers,Bassini-X Pipe,
FMS Al D/S, FMS 3.73's, Cobra R's ,
Firestone SZ-50 275-40x17's,
Powerslot Rotors, Preformance Friction Z rated pads,
(Track PF90 Compound pads),Steeda Tri-Ax,
Schroth Restraints,Kuhmo Victoracers(for the track)
Steeda Functional Wing.
1:32min @ Summit Point

drudis 12-25-1999 10:43 PM

I personally have tried Yokohama A008RS-II,
and g-Forces, and (old style) R1's, and Kuhmos.
The Kumhos have a bad habbit of "falling apart". Yeah, they develop a slit (like you ran over a kitchen knife) accross the tread. Doesnt happen to everyone, but whwn it happend to me (along with others I heard), then it happens too often.
Get the g-Forces. Yeah, they are a few bucks more, but you really do get what you pay for.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page

Danbo 12-27-1999 08:10 PM

Thanks for the advise.
I did notice a slit on one on my tires. It runs directly accross the tire. I could'nt imagine how it got there. It seems real superficial.Is it anything to worry about?
I think I'm gonna switch to BFG's when these are gone.
I heard there are re-formulating the compound
on the g-force R-1's. Did u have any problem getting them dailed in?

Dan

------------------
'96 Cobra, Steeda G-Trac
Stage III Suspension, K&N
Filter,77mmPro-M,FMS Ceramic
Coated Headers,Bassini-X Pipe,
FMS Al D/S, FMS 3.73's, Cobra R's ,
Firestone SZ-50 275-40x17's,
Powerslot Rotors, Preformance Friction Z rated pads,
(Track PF90 Compound pads),Steeda Tri-Ax,
Schroth Restraints,Kuhmo Victoracers(for the track)
Steeda Functional Wing.
1:32min @ Summit Point

drudis 01-01-2000 09:03 PM

Yeah, that slit "appeared" for many others too. So far, mine is ok. I am saving those tires for the street. I will use the g-Force for track duty.
Most everyone was up in the air in 1999 on what tires to get (and was the talk at the SAAC-Motor City Region Christmas Party). Many decided to get he Kuhmos, and got burned. Since then, many have gone to g-Forces. Others went Hooser and elsewhere.
As for dialing them in, no I didnt really do that. I drive my car to work (rarely) and drive it the same configuration (yeah, same race tires and all) to the track. So I simply tighten the 5-point harness and go.
Others, like my friend Scott, (see Autocross videos) dials his car in for every session. He a an absolute nut (I mean that in a nice way) about taking down tire temps and alignement specs, cycle of the full moon... :-)
All in all I have been happy with the g-Forces, just they did wear exceptionally fast (bas camber for street) on the street.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page