MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2002, 04:06 PM   #1
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default Pros and Cons of A/C Removal

I already have the short belt and was wondering what the pros and cons of removing the a/c are. Is it a pretty simple process?

It only gets into the high 80's maybe 15 days out of the year and that's the only real time that I use the a/c. If it's 75 or 80, I just roll the windows down and enjoy the fresh air.

So if I wanted to remove the a/c, what would I have to do? The compressor looks like it would be very easy to remove but what about the lines going into it? Will the short belt and no a/c help my performance any?? Is it even worth removing the a/c if it's only going to be a minimal gain?

I'm curious because I want to see if I can get into the 13's with what I have (including the 4.10's, DR's, and MAF). If I can do it with the a/c, then I'll probably just leave it in for now.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb To be or not to be...A/C

Crazy:

Removing the A/C will save about 50 pounds off the front-end. Hardly worth it - unless you're a fanatic. You decide that.

There are easier ways to save weight - especially if you just want to hit a number at the track. Removing the rear and passenger seats will lose near 100 pounds and is worth a tenth. They can be easily re-installed after you get home, unlike the A/C.

I would just use the short belt and by-pass the A/C which should be good enough and not condemn you to sweaty rides or lower your 'Stang's re-sale value.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 05:03 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

OK, so the a/c is going to stay. I think I'll just throw the short belt on for now to bypass it. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for taking out the seats, I think I'm going to leave them in. I drive my car on the street with two or three trips to the track a year. So it doesn't see much track time compared to street time. If I can't run what I want to, I'll just have to buy more stuff !

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Taking out the rear seats only removes about 15lbs tops.

I dunno where that 100lb myth came from.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 02:16 AM   #5
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Default seats

sky, I think he meant rear seats and the passenger seat. I'm wondering about removing my rear seat (8 pt cage) but what will it do to the cab volume? BTW. I dont have A/Cor for that matter. anything else under there. : )
carbed.
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:20 AM   #6
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

I removed my rear seats for restoration and they weighed almost nothing, like Sky said. If I remmember correctly my front seats weighed in at 42 lbs each. Also I've got a question about the refrigerant used in the AC. When I removed my AC I just unscrewed the lines and let them loose. The stuff started spraying everywhere. I got it in my mouth and eyes and pretty much all over. It didn't really sting my eyes, tasted bad though. My question is, is this toxic or dangerous or anything.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
jerrys84
Registered Member

The most serious side effects would occur at the time of exposure. Exposure to Freon may cause eye and skin irritation or sensitization. High concentrations of Freon cause severe depression of the central nervous system, weakness, dizziness, convulsions, and cardiac arrhythmia, irregular heart beat.

Fortunately, Freon does not have serious long term health consequences. When it is inhaled, it is rapidly excreted by exhalation, and it is not significantly accumulated in the body. This means that breathing low concentrations of freon from a leaking refrigerator or air conditioner over a long period of time is unlikely to have a cumulative effect, and thus few, if any, long term health effects.

Then again, the alleged damage to the ozone is why they quit allowing it in automobile use.

previous stangs;

lightly modded 84GT

81 2.3 converted to 302 auto
jerrys84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 11:41 AM   #8
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

The back seat is incredibly light. The back and bottom cushions are basically foam encasing a piece of sheet metal.

The seat belts, and the frame holding the seat to the floorpan, however, probably weigh 25lbs total. So...removing the rear seat components is maybe 30lbs.

Not having A/C really cleans up the engine compartment. My parents cars have all had it, my Explorer had it, and my Oldsmobile had it...not having it on the 'Stang makes working under the hood much easier. Also, as I recall, it cuts about three hours from a heater core repair.

R.I.P. 05/30/02

"I've seen some crazy stuff in my life, but that...was...AWESOME!!! Oh, sorry about your car, man."
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:06 PM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7000rpmisheaven
I removed my rear seats for restoration and they weighed almost nothing, like Sky said. If I remmember correctly my front seats weighed in at 42 lbs each. Also I've got a question about the refrigerant used in the AC. When I removed my AC I just unscrewed the lines and let them loose. The stuff started spraying everywhere. I got it in my mouth and eyes and pretty much all over. It didn't really sting my eyes, tasted bad though. My question is, is this toxic or dangerous or anything.
Dunno, AC refigerant is a fllurocarbon and wasn't supposed to react with much? Was an oily gummy mess left over? Thats the the lubricating oil in the system. About the worst thing I beleive can form though is trace amounts of acid (hydrochloric I believe) if the dryer is capoot. As for the freon I think a few sun burnt penguins and aussies might be a bit more upset at you
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:44 PM   #10
Roadwarrior5.0
Registered Member

Everyone seems to think that taking off the A/C will save you loads of power but i dont see why. The A/C was removed from my car when i got it for that fact. I know you will save weight without it but it only really drags on the engine when its on. So when you go to race just shut it off. If you do ditch it i think its illegal to release it into the air (at least it is here in alberta) so just dont get caught.
Roadwarrior5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:55 PM   #11
5ohCOUPE
Registered Member

I got a simple question. What size belt do I need for my car without A/C and no smog pump but keeping the power steering pump on?
91 LX COUPE, 3.73 gears, 2 1/2 inch H-Pipe, 1 5/8 MAC long tube headers, 73 MM C&L MAF, 70 MM MAC TB, LUNATI cam,1.7 TFS Rockers, TFS Track Heat heads, TFS Track Heat intake, T5 with PRO 5.0 shifter, Griffin aluminum radiator, Fluid Damper, SSM traction bars, 190 GPH in tank fuel pump. And more to come.
5ohCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:21 PM   #12
MiracleMax
Registered Member

When the AC clurch isn't engaged, the AC unit probably draws about as much power as an idler pulley. The benefit to removing AC is the weight savings. If you get a short belt and bypass the AC, don't worry about draining it, eventually the shaft seal will start leaking and there it goes into the atmosphere.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:40 PM   #13
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

5ohcoupe,

You'll need a 71 1/2" belt. You'll also have to drill a new hole in the belt tensioner. If you don't drill the hole too much tension will be applied and the belt will pinch together and rub.

I ditched my AC because I was too cheap to both refill it and hook it up on the new engine.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:49 AM   #14
fordgasm
Registered Member

The correct way to remove the AC is to have the system evacuted by a qualified technician. Then you can take it home and simply remove the AC and all the associated parts.

The removal of the AC does two things, 1) it dramatically cleans up the engine compartment 2) it removes weight, but more importantly it removes weight from the front of the car. For drag racing this is to your advantage because it allows you to get better weight transfer during launch, which the Mustang drastically needs to help traction. I removed my AC and put the battery in the hatch and noticed improved 60 foot times.

It's like everthing else in hot rodding, you have to give something up to gain something else. In this case you have to give up comfort for better launches and a cleaner engine compartment. You have to decide what's more important to you.

Good luck...
Old 03-05-2002, 09:20 AM   #15
drudis

I am currently removing mine to get rid of the weight.

For us twisty-turny guys, that weight on the nose is a big deal when trying to get 50/50 weight ratio. Plus for every pound you remove, not only do you not have to accelerate that weight, but nor STOP that weight!
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:14 PM   #16
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Clarification

Removing the rear seats and belts along with the front passenger seat is worth about a 75-pound weight reduction, not 100 pounds, as I originally stated.

Although that was a 'ball park' figure, it was a bit optimistic. It's still more than the A/C removal gains but as noted, the A/C is on the front of the car, which is a factor if weight loss and balance are crucial to you.

Sorry for any confusion.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 01:15 PM   #17
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

ahh..thats what windows are for..i dont have it and i drive around every day with no power steering no air, elcet fan and battery in trunk..some times you have to give a little to get some..then again when i pucnh it in 2nd people say my front end comes up..so its worth it to me

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote