MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-20-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
mean81GT
Registered Member

Default Question's for Mr. Rudis

Mr Rudis. I am restoring my 81 GT. it is going to take approximately 2 years, but when it is done....whoo. I have a few ideas i wanna run past you, and i would appreciate your input.

Brakes
95 GT kit from Mustang specialties (PBR piston's). kit includes spindles, calipers, rotors, all that jazz.

Wheels and Tires
I like the cobra r's, but there are way too many people with them now. i have to find a set that will compliment the looks of the car.
As far as tires go, i am looking towards a Firestone Firehawk, or a Goodyear Eagle.

As fart as suspension goes, this is where i need your biggest help. The car will be street driven, with occasional drag time, and more often than the drag SCCA stuff (local). But primarily i want a car that can handle without shattering teeth on the street. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:30 PM   #2
drudis

Get a plan and a budget together. No use having one without the other.

THe GT brakes are much better than what you got. Yours are 10", my 89's were 11", the 95's are 12" (I think), and the M2300K Cobra brakes are 13". I got the 13". Great "investment" (yeah, its a few bucks, but you get what you pay for).

Hunt around for rims. Cobra wheels are about as common as belly buttons, everyone's got some...

Tires are more opinionated, and wont open taht can of worms. As I literally dont own a pair os street tires, I cannot comment.

Start slow, plan each move, buy from ONE manufacturer for all your parts. Psersonally I think Griggs is the best track-duty, but Steeda 5-link is pretty impressive too. FYI, My project has been going on for 7 years. ONE project per year: 16"-wheels/tires, then suspension, then supercharger, then 17"wheels/tires/brakes, then cage, then K-member and TKO trans (oops, that was unplanned when T5 broke).
This year.......... NEW MOTOR!!! WOOHOO!!!
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
mean81GT
Registered Member

i have a totla budget of about ten grand. i planned on spending five, and saved up ten, cause you always spend more i figure for the package about 2500. including wheels, tires, brakes, and supension. like i said, i don't need a track duty car, just one that can handle nicely on the street, without being too rough. Is the Steeda track link any good on the street? What size wheels do i need to fit the 13" brakes, anyway? what are they 17's? if i go with the big brakes, i am going to have to up my budget by another 5 g's because the wheels and tires alone will cost another thousand.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
drudis

It all adds up quick, dont it?

Without track duty, you might get away with GT brakes. The Cobra brakes MANDATE 17" wheels. You'll probably get 17's anyways. Depending on what youll spend for GT brakes, the M2300K brakes are about $1700.

As for suspension, I would do the Steeda thing. Now its a little overkill for the street, but with sticky tires, you'll be ok for the track too. This makes quick use of the $2500 budget though.

As for tires, get the softest compound, fastest wearing, tires you can. Yeah, you'll go thru tires, but the rewards are definitely there. Otherwise the suspension aint worth it. Take the suspension budget and spend it on tires then.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 03:14 PM   #5
mean81GT
Registered Member

Darius, thanks for all the helpful information. Like i said the car is going to be awhile, but it is well worth the time and investment. If i have any more questions, i'll contact you. Thanks again.