MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default Painting rims

I have a 90GT with silver 16" pony rims and there all beat up so i was gonna paint them with Dupli Color silver wheel coating spray paint, I got 3 cans 1can of clear and 1500grit wet sandpaper, all the rims are pretty much ugly and chipped no clear left on them so I wanna do this to hold me over until I can get my Weld draglites anyone have any suggestions or pics of there rims if they painted them?

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
crazypete
Registered Member

Sand them until you hit metal. Then polish the metal till it's a mirror finish and have a natural metallic sheen as the color. You cant chip that! Spray silicone on them to keep them from corroding.

You'll need to fudge the centercaps with spraypaint to try and get them the same color OR paint them gloss black for a nice silver/black effect. Take the little horses out first though and then stick them back on when your are done.

Just a thought as long as the existing finish isnt worth saving. If you dont like it, then you can paint over this and it will stick better than painting over an existing coat anyway.
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

why not go for the weld draglites now?
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

maybe its cause people cant crap money? ..or maybe some can
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #5
Scrapla
Registered Member

Actually my brother works at a body shop and when he heard about what I was going to do he was like no way bring them in, so hes gonna spray them with some car paint and clear, I seen a finished product and its very nice so thanks guys I was just at walmart the other night around 1am and saw the rim paint and just had a crazy idea.

PS I wish I could get the weld drags right now but I just found out im one of the un lucky people who cant crap money.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:11 AM   #6
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

g/l with that man ..everytime i mess with paint i screw something up - im just not good with it ..hope they turn out nice
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote