MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2001, 02:20 PM   #1
drudis

Question Rotors on hats

Looking into the possiblity of replacing my M2300K Cobra 13" rotors with rotors on hats. Who has looked into this, and what are the results of your findings...?

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 09:06 AM   #2
Jumpsteady
Registered Member

You may want to check out Wilwood 805-388-1188 as they have a new "big brake system" with 13" rotor (on hat) with a 6 piston caliper. These can be slotted, cross drilled and cad plated. I just started to research this myself and am interested in a front disc upgrade and a rear disc conversion for my 1988 Lx. I've started to look at Baer and Wilwood and so far Wilwood seem's to have a better product for the money. The Wilwood's are available for 4 or 5 lug's if that is an issue. Well, i guess it is not since you already have the M2300k Cobra setup. However, it is an issue for me because I already upgraded to a 4 lug 17" OZ Racing Competition wheel. I will continue to research in the near future. Good luck!
Jumpsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 09:02 AM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

I am in the process of getting a new set of brakes, and have been looking at the Cobra conversion and the Baer's. What exactly is a rotor with a hat? I don't know much about brakes, and so I have been doing a lot fo research lately. Jumpsteady, whats the average price of the Willwood systems you have been looking at? Do they have a webpage by chance? Any help you guys could give me about some new brakes would be very helpful. I am trying to make an informed decision here so that I don't have to buy another set up because the one I bought couldn't handle the road courses. Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 02:35 PM   #4
84_GT350
Registered Member

I didn't think the Wildwood kit was available for a Mustang. At least I didn't see anything on their website. Don't those Baer Eradispeed kits come with hats? The don't look like quite as much of an improvement as a Wilwood 6 piston kit would be...but certainly cheaper.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
drudis

Ok, I was daydreaming about doing a cutom rotor on hat for the 13" Mustang brakes...

Assuming I had CHEAP access to rotors, would it be worthwhile to do a custom hat for the Mustang?

If I were to get a 13" Coleman rotors like this:

then order a Coleman custom hub:

Could I end up with something that I saw on the Griggs Racing suspension website:

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page

[This message has been edited by drudis (edited 07-02-2001).]
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 12:20 AM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

You know, I've been thinking about the exact same thing. Brembo makes a couple of kits that use 2 part rotor, but they are mondo expensive and the rotors are a slightly different size...

Different companies make them for so many different brands I can't imagine there isn't somebody that makes them for Mustangs.

BTW there is a Wilwood 6 pot kit available for Mustangs. There was a group purchase for them on the Corral not that long ago.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote