MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Default Caster camber plates ?

I want to take my 96 GT Conv into have a set of Eibach lowering springs intalled. I understand this will lower the car 1.5" I would like lower but this will do. Do I need the plates or not? One place I took the car says no i don't need them, another place says yes I do. They are fairly expensive here and are a make or break to doing it. I am also getting new tires and don't want to wear them out prematurely.
Does any one have theses springs with out plates? How are your tires?
Thanks.
COUSIN ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

In my experience, there's just no way to tell right off.

Some vehicles will have enough play to align properly, and others won't.

I needed caster\camber plates after the eibach spring install...

My advice, wait a bit to get the extra $150.00 or so and get the plates.
Its cheaper than going through tires...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Thanks Hammer, but I was affraid that would be the answer. I think the plates up here are about $250 but I will have to check.
My gut feeling is to have them installed and then I don't have to worry about the tires.
I am getting Kumho 712 's 255-45-R-17 $180 CND each. Having them installed Monday. I was hoping to save the price of alignment by doing tires and lowering at the same time.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
bilbo g.t.
Registered Member

A local motorsports shop here wanted $800 to lower my car. They insist on using c.c. plates. I thought this was a lot. Am I right? I am far from being qualified or talented enough to do it myself, but I guess I might have to learn.
bilbo g.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Does that $800 just include springs, C/C plates, and labor? You can get excellent springs and C/C plates for $400-450. In my experience it only takes 2-3 hours for ME to install those parts, so it should take a professional with a lift and all the right tools a bit less. If a front end alignment is also included in that price then it is reasonable, maybe slightly on the high side.

The only tricky part about the whole install is the front springs are sometimes a pain to get in without the Ford compressor and most other compressors won't work due to space constraints in there. I just shoved the control arm way down and kicked the spring into place and jacked it up on my '79, but whether this will work or not depends on the length of the springs as it can be dangerous while jacking them up if they are not seated properly. Everything else is very easy and straightforward. If you do it yourself you can save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Last edited by blue00gt; 04-25-2003 at 03:32 PM..
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:06 AM   #6
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

The price i was quoted $530 CND pus tax and camber plates if I need them.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
GaryDawg
Registered Member

You could probably get away without them by modifying your stock plates or even drilling out a bit more of your strut tower...

Would I do that.... NO!

I bought the plates and I am still at the limits for camber.

Even if you get the springs installed and new tires all at once, you will still need an alignment. And once the Alignment shop finds out your pony is lowered, it will cost you more.

Alignments here are typically $45 but mine ran $83 because of my drop. And the guy didn't know how to adjust my plates so I had to show him.
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote