Thread: Tires...
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2000, 03:18 PM   #7
autoX
Registered Member

drudis,
I am also debating what size of tires to put on my 16 x 8 rims. I will not be going any larger than 245-50-16 in the rear and I am really having a tough time deciding on what to do about the front... I heard that someone with my same wheels (ROH ZR6) had some 245-45-16s on and didn't rub at all in the front. That would be great, but I would like to have all the tires the same size so I can still rotate them. So, do I go with the 50 series or the 45 series? I know drudis was saying that they barely rubbed on his car, but it seemed like that was just during parking and all... How about when you are driving all-out at an auto-cross? Do they rub the fenders then? I would think so, due to body roll and all... Also, I have some Kenny Brown springs on my car, so the front is lowered some... Help me out here!!!
86 GT,
Keep in mind that even though 255's might "fit" on the pony rims, you might end up with even less of a footprint on the ground! When the tire is too wide for the rim, it means that the tire will bow some... You will wear your tires out in the center, and might even have less traction, due to decreased footprint on the road! I have heard that you should get the widest wheels that a certain size of tire will fit on. In your case, it seems like you are trying to stuff too big of a tire on too small of a wheel... It may be self-defeating.

------------------
Red '90 GT Kenny Brown Springs & Subs, KYBs, FFR Upper & Lower Control arms, K&N, Cervini 2 1/2 cowl, & Polished ROH ZR6 wheels...
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote