View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 07:37 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The dyno numbers and track times point to the SD cars in 1987 and 1988 being 2-3 tenths quicker at the track, and a good couple mph faster through the traps as well. Unless the SD cars were underrated and really made 250hp, the MAF cars really did make closer to the 205hp they were rated at. Like I said earlier, you could certainly bump the timing up and remove the silencer to even it out, but a good bone stock SD car will not dyno 205rwhp. Wish they did, but 195rwhp is more accurate for a real good SD in stock form.

SLOW 97 in all reality, going to rwhp would make the newer cars with more hp look worse vs the older cars. The more power you make, the more you lose through the driveline. A T-45 isn't any more efficient than a T-5. Both lose about 17% of their power from the crank to the wheels. The Tremec is nearly the same, but the newer Cobra's are actually much stronger than their dynos suggest because the IRS robs significantly more power than a solid axle. The 99 Cobra with the fix is truely making closer to 340hp+ at the flywheel. The AOD sits at about 22% power drain, and the old C-4 at about 19%. I don't know about the new auto, but I'm sure it's probably in between the C-4 and AOD.

Also, ratings will change with the transmission because they use a different computer. The 94-95 GT's had a 5500rpm fuel cutoff with the AOD, and they were seriously detuned for both T-5 and AOD. As I stated earlier, I think when Ford said 225hp for the T-5 they were trying to cover up for the power sucking slushbox AOD.

I wouldn't want to compare Cobra ratings, they've been seriously skewed since it was re-introduced back in '93, hahahaah.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote