MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-06-2002, 01:10 PM   #1
xspeed02
Registered Member

Thumbs down Little Suspension Problem...

Last summer I had new Eibach Sportlines installed on my car to replace the old stock units as well as fix the little lean my car had. Well about a year later and around 8k miles or so, the car still sits funny. The driver side rear squats lower than the passenger side and so does the driver side front, thought not as bad. I'm really anal about this and want my car to sit perfect, the passenger side sits great and if I could get the car to sit like that I'd be one happy camper. A friend told me new shocks and struts wouldn't make a difference.. Any opinions out there? The guy before me had a tow package on the car and a really heavy stereo system in the back and I think he destroyed the bushings or something. Would appreciate any advice, thanks.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
drudis

You might try some spacers...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
xspeed02
Registered Member

If it comes to that I might give it a try. But now that I have a really good paying job and I'm only 20 years old without debt, I don't want to half *** anything. I thought maybe someone out there possibly had this problem one time or another, it's getting to the point where I think I may just have the entire suspension redone. I do know one thing though, if I can't ever get the car to sit level, it's getting sold.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:57 PM   #4
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Perhaps you might want to take it to a frame shop to see if the frame is twisted.

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:42 PM   #5
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I notice drag springs make a car sit funny, dont know if this goes for all cars.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
xspeed02
Registered Member

Someone suggested taking the car to a frame shop. I really hope it isn't something like that. Is it possible maybe the rear is so bad it just needs new bushings or something to give it that extra lift it needs? It's probably only sitting about an inch lower on the driver side but it's really bugging the crap out of me.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:27 PM   #7
JohnnyG
Registered Member

If the frame is twisted, you don't want to band-aid the problem... ESPECIALLY if you plan on doing future suspension mods like subframe connectors. You can take it to a frame shop and they can throw it up on a jig (most places for free) to tell you if it's straight or not. If your stang has any history of an accident, I would DEFINITELY take it to a frame shop to get checked-out. I twisted the hell out of my GT Vert. running into a tall curb (don't ask ) , and it was well worth the while to get my frame straightened back out. I don't know what towing a load may or may not do to the fox chassis, do any of you guys know if towing can twist the frame?

Either way, keep it in the back of your mind... especially before you weld in subframe connectors.

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
Old 04-11-2002, 12:30 PM   #8
gtsr515
Registered Member

Well, crawl under there and check out the bushings, also it could be with the sway bars, are the links and bushings good?

Check out the torque boxes, tire pressures, put the battery in the back, also maybe the springs were installed wrong, on some kits it DOES matter where each spring goes.

Take a good look at the K-member too.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

Welcome to the club, this is a very common thing in mustangs, I replaced my whole rear suspension even went back to stock springs once to try and figure it out, but still the infamous squat was still there, clean title, never wrecked, bumped or anything, go figure. The strange thing is I only have it on the notch and the notch is the only one I drive hard, it could be due to hard driving and racing a lot but who knows? Let us all know when you figure it out, if you do.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #10
xspeed02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsr515
Well, crawl under there and check out the bushings, also it could be with the sway bars, are the links and bushings good?

Check out the torque boxes, tire pressures, put the battery in the back, also maybe the springs were installed wrong, on some kits it DOES matter where each spring goes.

Take a good look at the K-member too.
Well that's interesting. If I remember correctly, when I had my car aligned a guy told me that the driver side torque box was torn. I didn't think anything of it. Does that have to do with how high that side of the car sits?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:52 AM   #11
xspeed02
Registered Member

Does anyone know if this could be the problem? A torn torque box?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
JohnnyG
Registered Member

Yes, that is definitely a problem... the torque box is where the rear lower control arms attach to the chassis. With a weakened joint at the chassis, your control arm cannot effectively function. You should have that torque box at least re-welded, if not re-inforced with a product like Wild Ride's Battle Boxes... before it becomes a more extensive problem.

John
PBR 5-Lug Brakes
Cobra R's w/ 255 Rubber

Rice Hater's Club #60
Old 04-15-2002, 12:11 PM   #13
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I would bet money that your springs are installed wrong. The ends of the springs have to be pointing the same way on the front and rear or it will sit unlevel.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote