MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Re: Suspension upgrade Qs for '65 coupe

Ended up going with the grab-a-track kit instead, since it comes with shackles and gave me a few more options.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...ry_Code=handle

I chose to stay with the 1" front sway bar because I think the 620 springs will significantly reduce roll on their own. I upgraded to the 5 leaf reverse eye springs since they're rated only 20lbs higher than the 4.5s that are on the car now, and stayed with the 3/4" rear sway bar. Also, I wanted to try to match the 1 1/2" drop up front with a 1 1/4" drop out back. I kinda hope it will come out even, does anyone know an easy way to drop the rear an extra 1/4"?

I ended up going with polyeurethane all around. The guys told me that anti-seize grease will prevent binding, and it can apparently be bought at any Kragen's or Auto Zone. Those little bastards sure are stiff, though. I've never dealt with poly before, and I was trying to squeeze them in my hand and they didn't give a bit.

Now I'm just waiting for MP to receive my spring compressor so I can get to work. BTW, those 620 springs are stiff too. Granted I'm only 220lbs, but I was checking them out to see if I could compress them at all, and nothing. I'm a little worried about the compressor...

Of course, I'm going to paint everything black that isn't already. I don't really like the look of multicolored suspensions, and it'll help me look stock at a glance. Is there a certain kind of paint I should use, or will anything pretty much look/last the same?

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #22
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

In addition to the questions above, should I prep the sway bars by sanding or priming at all if I want the paint to last? Also, all I saw was high and semi-gloss. What I should be getting for a stock look is flat black right, or is it the semi-gloss? I assumed flat black but they didn't have any.

I tried to find anti-seize grease at Kragen's, but all I saw was the regular grease and synthetic grease. Nothing on the packages said anything about polyurethane bushings or anti-seize. I was going to start the rear suspension today, but I'm still not quite sure what to use and I want to do this right the first time.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:52 AM   #23
bmxmon
Registered Member

You could put blocks between the leaf springs and rear axle with longer u-bolts, that would lower it. Are you spray can painting the parts or with a an actual spray gun? If they are already painted i wouldnt think you should have to prime them, just sand them up a bit and spray them. If your using a spray gun, use some decent paint made for metal. (my parents own a paint shop, so whenever i need something i just ask them, dont really pay attention to what it is, sorry!) I know they had a product (two part expoxy I believe) which is an extremely hard paint. We painted my stepdads imapala chassis with it, should never have a rock chip. (havent gotten the body on that yet) Kinda like POR15. I would try to find a paint shop that deals only with paint and ask them what they recommend. As for the gloss, i couldnt tell ya, whatever looks best to ya.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
mdjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMustang65
In addition to the questions above, should I prep the sway bars by sanding or priming at all if I want the paint to last? Also, all I saw was high and semi-gloss. What I should be getting for a stock look is flat black right, or is it the semi-gloss? I assumed flat black but they didn't have any.
Speaking to an MCA judge, they say the sway bar should be gold zinc plated. It's just the way they come!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #25
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Hello, Jay. Sorry about that pm the other day. I had no clue who you were, and just assumed that you were one of many folks that have been spamming me lately. I apologize for being harsh.

I never knew that the sway bars came zinc plated. All this time I was thinking they were supposed to be flat black. I really need to find a book on this, but every time I visit Barnes & Noble I can never find a good one.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #26
mdjay
Registered Member

No problem my friend...

This site does get an extreem amount of spam for some reason. I think the moderators should be a little more aggressive...

Any thing I can do to help in your build let me know...

FYI If you join the MCA, the rules for concourse cars are made available to active members...

Thanks again

Jay
Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

whats the mca?

06 Saleen S281SC Convertible 6spd
04 Freestar(wife)
66 mustang w/orig. Carroll Shelby racing 7 spoke 14X7's aluminum
02 pontiac sunfire 2.2 ecotec(great gas mileage) still GM junk
stanger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #28
mdjay
Registered Member

Mustang Club of America 100k members!

www.mustang.org
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #29
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Not bad. Guess I should be joining.

I hope I got the correct grease for the bushings. If I did, and don't need to paint the sway bars, then I can get started on my next day off! The brand is "Mag 1" and it's called "Super Lithium EP Moly Grease". I chose this because a couple of the guys at MP told me to make sure to get an anti-seize grease if I use the polyurethane bushings, and this is the only anti-seize grease I could find at Kragens or Pep Boys. It says it can be used over a wide range of applications, including automotive, but it doesn't say anything about being safe for polyurethane so I just wanted to ask and make sure if this stuff is safe before I get to work. I asked everyone I could find at the stores I checked, and nobody had a clue.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #30
mdjay
Registered Member

Silicone grease is safest for urethane. Avail at Home Depot, the big "DEPOT"
Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #31
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Crap. Looks like I've wasted $4.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:52 AM   #32
bmxmon
Registered Member

Anybody watch Musclecar on the Power block on Spike? It was the first time i've been awake that early (yes, 10 or so is early for me!) so I got to watch it, and they started installation of a mustang 2 front suspension on a 65-66 (I think, cant remember) fastback stang! After watching that show it makes me want to do it, figured it'd be a good topic in this thread.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #33
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

About the silicone grease... besides it being safest, does it resist binding/seizing like the grease I already have?

This weekend, I finally have the day off from both work AND school. I want to at least get the rear taken care of then.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #34
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Well, I got started yesterday. Haven't had a chance to grease anything up yet, unfortunately. I almost got the passenger side leaf spring off, but the nut & bolt on the front just didn't want to turn anymore once I got it close to being off. Damn my luck. I guess I'll be going to get some penetrating grease or something to get this stubborn thing off.

I've got the car supported properly, frame, rear end, brake drum is resting on my spare tire...but I can't help but be nervous. Is it safe to have the car raised like this for any length of time?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #35
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Ugh, luckily I was able to remove the front nut & bolt on the leaf spring. Now I can't get the shackle off. I've got the nut off (try not to laugh), but the bolt won't slide out. I've sprayed the area with penetrating oil, SOAKED the area with it, and hammered like mad, but to no avail. I guess this is what happens when nobody rebuilds the suspension in 40+ years.

While waiting for the oil to loosen things up for me, I sanded/primed/painted the new sway bars & shackles semi-flat black. The bronze stuff that they had on there just didn't seem like it was going to afford much protection. Not that I plan on ever driving in bad weather, but meh.

Anyway, I know this message board has been deader than usual lately, but has anyone run into stubborn bolts like this or have any suggestions on getting them off that I haven't thought of?

P.S. Sorry about the chain of questions, and thanks in advance.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #36
drudis

Contact John again about some leaf spring contraption...
He crafted a leafspring NOT to use rubber bushings, but bearings instead. Pretty slick!
dietrends at-sign juno.com

p.s. I always found that a torch will get most anything off!!!
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #37
mdjay
Registered Member

Matt, I did the MII Conv on my vert a while back and did an article on the subject.
http://www.mustangdepot.com/graphics/RoomforMore.pdf

The install is not that tough, but if you plan on open tracking the car, I would consider more bracing than the kit offers (ie firewall to front subs at least).

The crossmember sits kinda low too so it's another consideration.

PS I'm not the biggest fan of using a torch, but in that tight area, it may be necessary. If you can get a grinder in there and shave it off, give it a try.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #38
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

That conversion is just a weeee bit outta my league. Not to mention I just couldn't bring myself to hack up my car, considering the condition it's in.

And yeah, I'm sure I can get these bolts out without a torch. I haven't had a chance these past few days due to midterms, but I'll be getting back to it sometime in the next 2 days for sure.

Also, the sway bars and other hardware that I painted came out quite well. Especially considering that I was flirting with some really poor weather at the time.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #39
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Sheesh, this is taking longer than I thought. I have the passenger side leaf, shackle and everything else bolted in to minimum torque specs. Gonna torque them down proper once I get everything secured, of course.

I keep running into snags. Today I bought new bolts and nuts for the front of the leafs because I didn't want to reuse the old ones. MP apparently doesn't include them with their kits. Now I need to pick up new u-bolts & nuts for where the leaf meets the rear end. One of the nuts gets stuck on the bolt and it'll somehow spin and not go anywhere, on or off. Of course I find this out after spending time cleaning, sanding, priming, and painting them so they don't stand out against all the shiny new black parts. ARGH!

Another reason it's taking a while longer than I thought is because I've been cleaning out the caked dirt from the quarter panels and undercarriage while I'm in the area. Shot some new rubber undercoating in there, so now it looks nice 'n clean.

Anyway, I just thought I'd update. I don't have many friends that are into cars that I can talk to, can you tell?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #40
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

I officially hate the driver's side shackle area. Not enough room to line the bolt up with the frame and the top of the shackle. I had to punch a hole in the inner quarter panel in order to get this bolt in. Pain in the ass.

If I'd been using rubber bushings, I'd probably have been able to insert the bushing/sleeve/bolt as a unit, but the polyurethane bushing was just too stiff for this. I know most of the regs probably know this already, but in case a relative newbie like me is reading this topic, be aware of bad times in this area.

Almost done...almost done... *rocks back and forth*