MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-27-1999, 05:07 PM   #1
GTLee
Registered Member

Post Best differential for carving corners

For you auto cross guys and anyone who takes on the twisties more than the 1320.

What differential do you guys prefer. Cause I was gonna get some PowerTrax or some Auburns but I'm starting to here that they may not be the best investments is I'm going to be taking many corners.

------------------
90 GT - The basics (MagnaFlow mufflers, pulleys, Moroso air relocation)
- New stock long block, stock intake, 75mm MAF w/ 24lbs, 65mmTB, 2.73's(yuck)
- Just installed KYB shocks and struts, BBK upper & lower control arms
- Best Run: 14.86@97.5 with crappy radials

GTLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-1999, 10:11 PM   #2
stangsrule
Registered Member

GTLee, first off I want to make it very clear that I am no expert and have yet to race my car but with that out of the way I wanted to let you know that the guys at Dugan Raceing told me that the Auburn and Auburn Pro's DO NOT hold up well to side loads. They told me that most of the guys they know including some of thier employes prefer the good old FMS heavy duty unit. They say that the FMS unit has heavier springs, plates and spyder gears and is 100% re-buildable. They told me the Auburns don't last nearly as long and are not re-buildable, but then some guys here say that they are so not too sure about that. The FMS unit is cheaper too though. Anyway, I have one in mine and like it so far. Goodluck!!!

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.

stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-1999, 05:18 PM   #3
cool tan
Registered Member

IT DEPENDS ON THE SUSPENSION MODS YOU MAKE TO THE REAR AS TO WHICH LOCKER WILL WORK BEST. WITH MY OLD SET UP (BOXED IN UPPER/LOWER CONT. ARMS, POLY BUSHINGS IN THE LOWER, STEEDA ADJ. SWAY BAR, KONI SPORT SHOCKS, H&R RACE SPRINGS, RELOCATED LOWER CONTROL ARM PICK UP POINTS) I USED A POWER TRAX LOCKER. IT WORKED GREAT, BUT IT IS VERY NOISY AND IT TAKES A LITTLE GETTING USED TO WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING AROUND IN A PARKING LOT MAKING SLOW, TIGHT TURNS. I HAD IT IN MY CAR FOR OVER A YEAR WITH NO PROBLEMS.
JUST MY .02

------------------
cool tan
5.0 cover car may 99
triple threat
cool tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2000, 01:55 AM   #4
Greystang302
Registered Member

I have no experience with the Power Trax locker personally, but I have heard about them from a friend who runs road courses. He said that they have a nasty habit of locking/unlocking in the middle of turns, and that this usually causes spins.

Just my $0.02.

------------------
1989 Mustang GT, Charcoal Gray w/Titanium, 71k miles
13.413@108.95 -- 2.159 60ft. (SZ50's)
FMS 3.55 gears, Tremec 3550 w/Hurst Comp. Plus shifter, Steeda alum. quadrant, FMS HD clutch kit, Compucar N2O, 16" x 8.5" O.Z. Italy Monte Carlo wheels with 245/50ZR16 Firestone SZ50 tires, BBK 1 5/8" Jet-Hot long tubes, Dr. Gas X-pipe, Dynomax CVX cat-back, Factory Five upper and lower rear control arms, SVO pulleys, Accel 300+ ignition and plug wires, K&N conical filter, 75mm Pro-M, '93 Cobra rear valance, Auto Meter gauges, 130G alternator, '93 Cobra intake, FMS 65mm TB, Kirban adj. fuel pressure regulator @ 42psi.
Chad's Virtual House
Greystang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2000, 09:40 AM   #5
cool tan
Registered Member

when i ran my car at summit point i had no problems with the rear locking/unlocking.

------------------
cool tan
5.0 cover car may 99
triple threat
cool tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2000, 11:52 AM   #6
erl2589
Registered Member

I have the Auburn, the inside tire spins when I turn right. It works great in a straight line.(It's been in for about 10,000 miles)
erl2589 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: