MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Steriti
Registered Member

Default ball joint replace in a 65 - how hard is it?

Hi, I am considering replacing the lower ball joints and upper control arm bushings on our 1965 Mustang.
I've replaced the tie rod ends, which wasn't that hard once I figured out how to do it.
Local mechanics say that this is a 2-3 day job and estimate about $1,000.
I'm considering doing it myself, but am concerned that this might be over my head.
I'd need to get a spring compressor tool, and take the control arm to a shop to press out the old bushings and press in the new ones.
It looks like about a dozen bolts to take off the wheel, brakes, etc.
I'm wondering if their estimates for time and difficulty are BS. The tie rods were easy.

Any suggestions?

Can one wheel be done in one day?

How many hours would you say it took you?

Are there any extremely difficult parts to remove?

Thanks
Steriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Not too hard

The upper control arms have replaceable ball joints. You may have to drill out some rivets to get the old ones out and put in bolts for the new ball joints where the rivets once were. New upper control arm bushings can be installed while you have the control arms off the car. Getting the threaded end caps off can be a pain in the ass. I ended up putting a big crescent wrench on them and then beating on the wrench with a big hammer. They did eventually loosen though with lots of penetrating oil and lots of hammer blows. I didn't have an impact wrench then, but that would have made it easier.

The lower ball joints are built into the control arm and are not replaceable. You just replace the whole control arm. You won't need to press anything off or on.

You're right about needing a spring compresser. l borrowed one from a friend but some auto supply strores will lend you one for a deposit (AutoZone, Pepboys?). Be careful with the compressed spring. Treat it like a bomb with a hair trigger, very gently. There's lots of energy stored in a compressed coil spring.

Keep the shim packs that come off the upper control arm together and labled as to where they came from so you can put them back the same. You still will probably need a new allignment.

I did my whole rebuild in the drive way and I think it took most of a weekend. Good luck with yours.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 07-03-2004 at 04:37 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Welcome to MustangWorks.

Heres what id do.

Since your going to do your upper control arms this means everything in the front suspension will have to come out.

So, save your money and get a complete front end kit for around $600. They include EVERYTHING, etc. Since your car is a 1965, it all needs replaced anyway. If your going to keep your car for awhile, do it. You'll be glad you did.

C.J. Pony parts comes to mind for the entire kit. But im sure more are out there.

*As far as hard its not at all. Just time consuming. Probably a all day affair by yourself with non-air tools. I suggest do it.

You will need spring compressor to get the springs back in. I like the type that has a long rod that goes down from the top of the shock tower to a piece that lays in the center of the spring. . The compressor that squeezes from the sides are a tight fit.

Also put back all shims in the same place they came from. Your test ride is to the alignment rack.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Geez!

Geez mustangII460, I didn't realize that you had all those extensive mods, LOL.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 07-03-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Yeah , I never really had a signature untill there was another thread about them.

I stared reading some peoples and was amazed at the silly things posted.

So in my infinate wisdom, I would out do everyone.

I liked our almost double post. One minute apart.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Default Sigs

I agree with what you say. I put just the bare minimum in my sig. Between that and my avatar, I figure folks will see pretty much what I have. If anyone wants more they can click the link to users rides.

I'm still giggling about the Anco wiper refills.

Not trying to hijack your thread Steriti, I'll shut up now.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe