MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-14-2000, 03:56 PM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Question Side Exhaust...

I'm considering doing some suspension work which would preclude rear exiting exhaulst pipes. My choices are running turn downs or a side exhaust. I can't really run turn downs and keep it so it passes inspection.
So, side exhaust. I like my current exhaust and would hate to drop a good amount of money to buy a side exhaust set up. The Kar Kraft, SVO, and Roush, all using Borla mufflers, are the only ones I've found. The cheapest being nearly $500.

The other possible action I'm thinking of is fabricating a side exhaulst using my existing mufflers. The idea would be to cut the pipes connecting the mufflers to the x-pipe and moving the mufflers forward. It then appears that I would have enough room to run fairly sharply bending tail pipes out the side. Hanging the mufflers and pipes may take some minor welding and there's a shop which can fab the tail-pipes pretty cheaply.

Would this work? I've just eye-balled it, but there appears to be room. Is there any disadvanted to moving the mufflers closer to the x-pipe?

This is just an idea I'm kicking around, but any input would be appriciated.

Thanks!
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 06:24 PM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Just curious what kind of suspension work you are planning? I hear you on the cost of the kits - they're all purdy damned expensive. The Borla Rebel 500 kit that I got is identical to the Ford SVO kit with the SVO molded side skirts. I got mine used for $350 $500+ brand new) from I guy that had them on his car for less than a month so I couldn't pass it up. I don't do bodywork or painting so I had to cough up an extra $280 for the fit and finish.I mean these muffs hadn't been burned through at all, they were basically right off the shelf. If you can't find a kit used somewhere I think it would look awesome to mimick the 2000 Cobra R's setup. This could probably be done while keeping the stock side skirts. If you want I would be more than happy to mail or fax you the packing list that came with my kit. It has some drawings and specs that might be helpful if you decide to fabricate. Email me if you want them and I can have them in the mail ASAP.

Stefan
bhigh@kscable.com

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 06:26 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

What kind of suspension setup are you going to run? What are the present tailpipes going to be getting in the way of or hitting to warrant their disposal? Can you or a shop do some bending on the tailpipes to kinda get them to the side and away from what might be hitting them? I know some guys do this when they go to really wide wheels and tires in the rear. Tell us about your suspension setup. I'm interested.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 11-14-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2000, 12:33 AM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The 2000 R setup is the Kar Kraft setup, which is basically the SVO (FRPP) setup minus the side skirts. If fabrication is not a reasonable option I would go with that one because of clearence and cost.

But the suspension I'm considering, is the Steeda 5 link to go along with the rest of the Steeda suspension I currently have, and with it matches up well to. It is expensive at $1100, in addition to the parts I already have. Between the panhard rod and the how the 2 upper parallel links are mounted (parallel being the operative word here), its pretty effective at blocking a rear exit exhaulst.

At this point its an idea. I'm considering the total cost of the setup. But the people I've talked to who are in the know, some of which had atleast(if not better) a bird's eye view of the development (pre-Steeda; drudis and turbolx from this site for example) consider it to be an extremely good design.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time (not to mention money) picking my current exhaust setup (FRPP ceramic shorties, Bassani X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flows) and I am quite pleased with it. I would prefer to preserve it if possible. That and I know a shop that will do the cutting, bending, and welding for a reasonable price, much less then the aproximently $500 for an exhaust setup which I consider inferior to my current one.
Old 11-15-2000, 10:02 AM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Have you talked to Steeda about what you could do about your exhaust and if it was even still possible to have a rear exit exhaust? You could get side pipes and stacks like a semi-truck. hehe, just kidding. I think the Cobra R 2000 look would be really cool, though. As long as it doesn't drag or anything.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
Old 11-15-2000, 11:42 AM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

My vote is for the stacks as well. Just think, you'd be on the interstate and kids in the backs of station wagons would give you the symbol to honk your air horn

I can't remember if your car is lowered or not, but like 96GTS says, the Cobra R setup would be sweet. My side skirts are the lowest part of the car and I have absolutely no clearance issues whatsoever. My pipes are twin tips just like the Cobra R setup and with conventional skirts would not be that much lower than stock.

Stefan

...then again, side exit fartpipes would be innovative... you'd have to stick with Folgers decaf though for clearance issues

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 11-15-2000, 11:52 AM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

LOL, side fartpipe exhaust (decaffinated, how funny ). That would be hillarious. I'm surprised we haven't seen any ricers with that yet. Hey Brett, do you have any pics of your car with the side exhaust yet? Nice lookin' car ya got. I love the tan interior and top with that red exterior. Do you have the car lowered or are you leaving it stock height?

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
Old 11-15-2000, 01:11 PM   #8
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

96GTS-
I'm still working on getting some pics up. I wanted to take some really nice pics and spend some time on them but the weather has just been too sh*tty here lately. Tonight i'm gonna try and get some stuff up (i'll just snap some quickies and worry about beauty shots later). The car is stock height and probalby won't be lowered due to the exhaust. Clearance might not be an issue so you never know - I might investigate the details and do it sometime. Thanks for the compliments on the car, i'm pretty proud of it. The tan top was kind of wierd at first but then it grew on me. I think it's the best color for the Laser Red. Now I just need money to make it fast. With my mods up to this point would you venture a guess on HP and 1/4 mile times? Anyway i'll try to get stuff up tonight.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 11-15-2000, 06:22 PM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have Steeda's current setup now, so my car is about 1.25" lower in the front and about 1" lower in the back. Last weekend I banged my driver side cat heat shield pretty good, so clearence is an issue.

Stacks would be cool. I could paint it to look like the Munster's car too. "So why is it that you are a Werewolf when your mom is a vampire and father is Frankenstien?"

Maybe if I have turndowns, but leave the exhaust tips on, and get a really stupid guy to do the inspection....
Old 11-15-2000, 07:49 PM   #10
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

When I got my inspection this year the dude just kinda walked around the car, made sure all lights and wipers work and horn, then wrote up the deal and sticker and off I was to the DMV. Hehehe....they didn't even notice that I didn't have tailpipes or even mufflers. I know they heard and saw me drive up. I keep telling people, that haven't heard the car, that it really doesn't make it all that loud with no tails and muffs on the 4.6. Of course now in Missouri inspection is every other year. Odd numbered year for odd number year model vehicle and even number year for even number year vehicle. So I don't have to worry about inspection till 2002 now.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 11-15-2000).]
Old 11-16-2000, 03:29 AM   #11
97snakedriver
Registered Member

My brother drove straight piped for almost 10 years before they got him. I can almost get away with-out mufflers (it was actually quieter w/0 mufflers then flow masters) but I need tail pipes.

Stop! Its ruler time!
Old 11-18-2000, 12:53 AM   #12
DB&BGT

Talking

Would fart pipes equate
to what I call "fart cars" (fart muffler?) over here in Hawaii? All the kids have them
on their Hondas (ricer?). In the am, early, still in bed, hear these cars leave the Apt complex, going uphill, farting all the way! What a joy to go to work in the morning, in the 00 GT, thinking, people, This is how a real performer sounds!
Old 11-18-2000, 01:36 AM   #13
DB&BGT

Wink

To misquote Bill Cosby from his recording 200 MPH (early 60's) "Pipes, Pipes, wait till the kids in those Chevys (Ricers) see these Pipes! LOL!
Old 11-18-2000, 09:13 AM   #14
Stefan
Registered Member

Talking

LOL!

Stefan

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 11-19-2000, 12:47 AM   #15
DB&BGT

Hey Stephan, thanks for the LOL. What post Fart
Car, or 200 MPH? The tape is classic, Side 2= Bill Cosby meets Carol Shelby. Bill buys a Shelby Cobra.
Old 11-19-2000, 08:31 AM   #16
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Both actually. Fart car just kind of struck me as funny. I've heard of but haven't heard that Cosby tape. I could just picture him saying. Are there pics of your car yet? I'd think that Hawaii would make for some great backgrounds for a Mustang pic. Especially since looking out my window only shows me a frosted landscape. Oh well, at least it's 14 above not 14 below...yet.
Stefan

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 11-19-2000, 11:28 PM   #17
DB&BGT

you may find the tape at one of the internet
music sites. Yes, I do
have pics, and on photo
CD. I only have web tv, but perhaps could work with the photo cd and
Photopoint's site
Old 11-20-2000, 09:38 AM   #18
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Just let us know when you get something posted, i'd love to see something.

Stefan

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 11-21-2000, 12:14 AM   #19
DB&BGT

Roger That. Hopefully
PhotoPoint Brett, your
website, pretty cool!