MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
91 Mustang LX
91 Mustang LX

Default Sorry but this may take a while

ok to start things off im new to this board and so far the help has been amazing. ne ways moving on i own a 1991 mustang LX 5.0 HO. ive got so many questions so il try to make this as short as possible.
ok what kind of gears should i get for my car is 3.73's still street reliable? wut is the fattest tire i can put on my 16 inch pony rims and does ne one have ne recomandations of brand? Is a cold air intake worth it the reason i ask is because im only 18 so im on a limited budget and a 140 on a part isnt all to crazy and finally does ne one have ne sugestions to help me make car run awesome on a budget? thanks
91 Mustang LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
drudis

Default Re: Sorry but this may take a while

Get the 3.73 gears. Best bang for the buck on stick motor. It'll "fake" you car into feeling like it makes more power, in that the gears will give you mechanical advantage.

Tires are fitted to rims, stock rims are 7", so dont get anything wider than 245's. Anything wider might fit, but dont really do much, as you arent planting the tire completely flat footprint. Sure they look cooler, but dont help, and actually hurt.
Tires are expensive, get the best tire you can afford, and you get what you pay for. So dont expect to go to PepBoys and $49.99 tire to outrun a BFG KD at $229/tire.
I cannot recommend a street tire (just race tires), as I havnt bought a performance street tire in a while.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
racerboy88
Registered Member

go for either 3.55's or 3.73's depending on what you are going to do. Strictly daily driver then I would stay with 3.55's. Tires will cost some $$, look into ventus, bf goodrich for some decent deals. Khumo makes a decent tire in the 712's but more for imports.

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I'm pretty happy with my Falken Ziex512s. I put down about 420 rwhp with 4.10 gears and they hook up just as well as some of the more expensive ultra high performance tires I've had before ($200-$300 each). I got the local tire place here to match prices I found on the internet (Discount Tire Direct if I remember correctly), so I ended up paying $118 each for 245/45-ZR17s for the front and $135 each for 275/40-ZR17s for the rear. I got 1.9 60-fts at the track with them when they were new last month, which is pretty respectable for a street tire.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote