MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-17-2000, 08:16 AM   #1
1989GT
Registered Member

Post Spring rates?

Does anybody know the spring rate for a '89GT? Both front and rear. Thanks!

------------------
89GT,T-5, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 12:14 PM   #2
drudis

The stock rates are front 430-550# variable rate. The rears are 180-220# variable rate.

Aftermarket (BBK, Steeda,saleen, Eibach...) all make 10% stiffer which are 450-580# and 200-250#.

Me personal preference are the Eibach's. I had those and was very satisfied with the quality and no sag.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 04:17 PM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2000, 04:51 PM   #4
alzpony
Registered Member

I'm thinking of occasionally autocrossing my '89 GT and wonder which struts/shocks you would recommend to go along with the Eibach springs you have mentioned above?
alzpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 09:40 PM   #5
drudis

Lightbulb

I used the Monroe Formula GP's. They are pretty much a stock-type shock, but so are the springs (rates).
In fact (not to be tooo commercial here), but MY 11,000 mile Formula GP's will be up for sale _real_ soon. I just some new Koni's and coilovers and am about to install them. Mine will be comming off. (let me know in an email...)

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
Old 11-19-2000, 05:08 PM   #6
Skankin
Registered Member

I thought the stock springs were just one specific rate, 415 front, 180 rear. (Although I've also heard that they used a number of different springs).

The FMS-5300B springs are 425-525 & 200-300
The FMS-5300C springs are 620 & 200-300

I've got the B's, and I was surprised at how soft they were. I really thought they'd feel stiffer.

For autocrossing, the heavier C springs would help keep the inside front tire down. Also, they don't lower the car quite as much.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2000, 02:36 AM   #7
MiracleMax
Registered Member

I've got the SS motorsport spring myself and they tightened things up a bit and weren't to bad as far as ride (this was with a stock strut/shock combo) know I'm in the process of switching things out, my next big move is up to coil-overs. A-arms and a crossmember. I'm shooting for the HAL aluminum struts/shocks. I've already got a set of Granetelli a-arms (which came with urethane bushings, the one reason I wanted them. I'm not big on spherical rod ends for a street car) and I'm probably gonna go with the HAL cross-memeber when it becomes available? and box the strut towers with a cross brace. So I guess this is how things are gonna look on my car when I'm finished

Tubular A-arms (Granetelli)
Tubular K-member (HAL)
Coil-over aluminum struts (HAL)
Caster/Camber plates (with a spherical bearing, I know this goes against the bushing thing but from what I understand urethane strut bushings bind as the strut tries to rotate, err something like what Global West said, but it made sense at the time )

Rear suspension?
I like the Steeda 5-link (mainly because they straighten out the upper control arms!) Don't care for the panhard rod (but its beefy) and I like the AGS system (finally saw it, seems like a very modified watts link?) what I really want! The Steeda upper arms bolted into a set of welded axle mounts (instead of clamped) with the AGS thingy replacing the panhard rod and I'll keep the southside bars and just figure out where to set the pinion angle myself. Would this work? I dunno? if it comes to fruition I'll let you guys know especially if I smack the armco barrier

MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2000, 10:47 PM   #8
drudis

Talking

The new Steeda 5-link was developed by a guy I run with.
I am currently (while writing this note) trying to find some old photos of this suspension, which has been on his car for 3-4 years already.
I will post the photos HERE .

p.s. As for the southsides with that suspension, I wouldnt do it. I had the Megabite Seniors with my t-arm and it binded up... the mounting point is loo low on the axle. Went back to stock location, see sig.

------------------
Darius Rudis
My Mustang Page

[This message has been edited by drudis (edited 11-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by drudis (edited 11-20-2000).]
Old 11-20-2000, 11:31 PM   #9
1989GT
Registered Member

Well since where talking suspension here. Tell me what you guys think of this plan. I'm thinking springs(not sure what yet variable most likely but not too stiff don't want to kill my 60' times ) KYB shocks\struts, Maximum motorsports lower control arms, MM panhard bar, MM full length subs, MM strut tower brace, MM k member brace, and maybe the caster\camber plates. I drag race a lot and autox alot. So I don't want to kill my 1/4 times but this is my daily driver and I want it too handle well. But not ride too harsh. I figure this should tighten it up a lot and give it the feel I'm looking for. What do you guys think? I may eventually get into road racing. How well will this set up work? Although I'm not sure how to get into road racing. Haven't really heard too much in my area. Anybody have any links? Thanks!

------------------
89GT,T-5, D.S.S. 306 shortblock w\main support, B-303 cam, Cobra intake, GT40P heads, 1.72rr, MAC "P" headers, MAC off-road H-Pipe, MAC true-fit w\tips, 373's...
Throttle Junkie Powered by Ford!
12.824 @ 107.05 MPH
Old 11-21-2000, 01:59 AM   #10
MiracleMax
Registered Member

I've never measured the length of the SS bars by themselves without the plates which lower the arm? I still have the stockers up in the attic (I figure in 40 years I'll be able to find some sucker looking for NOS stuff ) If the arms are the same length then kewl, but if they are longer then Hmmmm...

So MB's caused your suspension to bind? I guess thats the pitfall of playing DR. Frankenstein? but with so much cool stuff out there It's hard not to? You see whats out there and bits from some kits seem neat and then there are bits from another that look neat too. I like the upper control arms on the Steeda 5-link (nice and straight like god intended!) but then I caught the AGS set-up, which neatly addresses the issue of a panhard rod's tendency to jack the rear-end out. Of course this brings up the question of wether the AGS is desinged to completely suppport the side loads imposed by cormering without the factory upper arms helping out?
Old 11-25-2000, 01:51 AM   #11
1989GT
Registered Member

No opinions or thoughts?
Old 11-25-2000, 03:33 AM   #12
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Sounds like a plan 89, road racers make decent drag cars. Going with a system is also a good idea since they have worked the system out front to rear.

Unfortunately for me my handling mods have been limited to the SVO SS springs and a set of southsides. They both seemed to work well (then again my old car was a chevette and before that a monza (which handled good with a v-6, but I had one with a v-8 also (former 4 cylinder car!) However with the current engine out I'm getting together some different parts, so I'll have to see how things go!