MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-19-2001, 09:53 AM   #1
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Question Spring on the stability!

I'm building a 79 coupe for everyday running with a little extra spunk built into the factory 2300. Would it be a performance advantage to replace the springs with springs for a V8? How about stabilizer bars? Any other tips for improving handling on the old fox bodies? Also, anyone know if they make different gearing ratios for 6.75 rear ends? Or are they too weak to bother with?

------------------
Pony Express 66
God Speed and keep it between the lines!
PNYXPS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 04:16 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I have a 79 Pace Car that I have fixed up for handling.
First thing these cars really need to handle is chassis bracing - subframe connectors, K-member brace, strut tower bar.
After that replacing all the bushings with polyeurethane, and changing the springs and shocks/struts would be a good idea.
Putting in V8 springs would probably make your car higher in the front since you are lacking 4 cylinders.
I don't know far you want to mod the car, but the next logical mods would be control arms and panhard bar

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, strut/shock tower bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports suspension - H&R Race springs, Bilsteins, rear control arms, chassis bracing, Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and 600cfm carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 2chmbr exhaust, Al Driveshaft, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 stall, B&M
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 04:28 PM   #3
drudis

Look into springs, that will help. BUT you gotta be careful, cause these are rated for V8 weights.
Racer Walsh carries a lot of parts for 2300cc racers. Try them.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Question

Panhard Bar? I'm not familiar with the term. I understand K-frame and strut tower bracing. Since, understandably, the V-8 springs add lift to the car, would air shocks for the rear be a good solution to assist with leveling the car? Theory behind this is when the car leans out in a turn, the pressure will increase (moreso than a standard shock mechanism that works to stabilize internal pressure)to counter the gravitational force thus increasing pressure on the ground; adding traction and reducing the possibility of skidding out. What do ya think? Talk me out of the idea.

------------------
Pony Express 66
God Speed and keep it between the lines!
PNYXPS66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 12:39 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The panhard bar attaches at one end to the frame and at the other to the axle. Prevents lateral movement of the axle during hard cornering and acceleration. Also reduces the bind in the 4 link suspension design.
Probably best to get springs that are made for the 4-cylinder. I believe Eibach makes a set.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote