MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Question Springs and shocks suggestions

I'm looking for a suspension set up that will handle good without being too harsh. I plan on lowering the car with the springs also so keep this in mind. So what springs and shocks handle the best and give the best ride? Thought you road racers might know this but I plan on posting it in the Windsor Forum too.

Cosmetic Mods: Color change interior & exterior, Cervinis Ram air hood, 16" Ponies, LX Taillights.
"Nip it in the Bud"
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:10 PM   #2
drudis

I suggest some "street" or "sport" type springs. THey are typically 10% stiffer than stock. Almost every single company (BBK, Steeda, H&R, Eibach, Saleen....) all make these sets.
Personally, I used the Eibach springs.
The Tokikos are a nice compliment.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:50 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I'd agree with Drudis. My personal choices for your needs would be Eibach or H&R springs and Tokico or Bilstein shocks and struts.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:13 PM   #4
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I have H&R springs Super Sport ones to tell you the tuth on my car very Bad ride around the streets But I still love them ( was not to Bad tell I striped it down some less wieght make it feel like Stiffer springs. Bilstein I love them All Good stuff to say about them.
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:20 AM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I have a friend that has the Eibach Pro Kit springs with Koni Reds. His car handles good and rides smooth. Not harsh at all.

I on the other hand had the Koni Yellows and Ford C's. This was a bit stiffer setup. At times it was rough riding, but for the most part it was fine. It was really fun to drive so that made up for the stiffness. I just stayed off of the bad roads and headed for the curves.

These Koni's are adjustable, so you can turn them down when you want a smoother ride. And believe it or not it's very noticable when you turn them down. Most of the others offer an adjustable setup as well.

By the way, nearly everyone that rode in my car had the same comment: "It feels like a big go cart".

For my next setup I'm going with a full Griggs compliment front and rear with coilovers. That should be really sweet
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:11 PM   #6
Skankin
Registered Member

When you use springs to lower the front, you lower the roll center much further than the center of gravity (the control arms become angled).

Also, the springs are located in-board, so despite the use of heavy springs, the wheel rate isn't very high at all. You want the weight:wheel_rate ratio of the front & rear to be about the same, so you don't get the for-aft rocking/sea-sickness.

With a 60:40 weight distribution, 200# springs in the rear (stock location) should have about 600# in the front (stock location).

The factory balance isn't right, and some of the 10% stiffer kit's aren't either...

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/suspension.html
'89.5 5L LX, hatch, Medium Canyon Red, 155K Km (No winters), 5sp, 3.08, GT interior, a/c, Alpine CD, K/N, Crane PS91, Walbro 190 LPH, March Pulleys, Mr. Gasket 180 therm (HP balanced), 3 core rad, MarkVIII fan, Variflow controller, Polygraphite front bushings, FMS-5300B springs, 6 KYB's, 73mm Calipers, Maximum Motorsport 4pt chassis brace, Western Motorsport Racing's Sub-frame connectors. Re-ringed bottom end, conv. motor mounts, melling oil pump, FMS-C50 waterpump, GT40P heads (blended, pollished, 3ang valve, milled .03", 10:1), ARP head studs, Explorer intake (pollished & port matched), Manley Race Flow Valves, Catco Hi-flow H-pipe, FMS ceramic headers (Accel P526S plug for #8 cyl.), Taylor 90* wires with sleeves, Trick flow 1pc chro-mo pushrods, Crane 1.7rr, 2031 cam (214/220,112lsa,.513/.529) and fuel pressure regulator (46PSI), Al driveshaft, relocated battery, PermaCool dual filter relocation, oil cooler, PS cooler, fabricated ram air and strut mounts.

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/ViewIt.cgi?http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi*960
http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/index.html
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:58 PM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I hate my Eibachs. I wish I had never gotten them...the car doesn't even look lowered in the front, and the ride isn't exceptionally improved either.

I'm personally opting for the Tokicos...both people (Tokico and KYB) said they were happy with their choice, but the peeps with the Tokicos say they noticed a major difference, so I'm going to pay more and see what the fuss is all about
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:07 PM   #8
Mad Horse
Registered Member

Default Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Just wanted to the thank both the guys and girls for the input on the suspension. I will definately either go with the Tokico, Koni, or Bilstein shocks and struts and Eibach or some other sport springs. Just wanted to thank you for the input.

Mustangbelle306, just wanted let you know that I'm jealous of all the toys you have had already. All I have is a 300EX and my 88GT. Once I'm out of college I hope to catch up

Cosmetic Mods: Color change interior & exterior, Cervinis Ram air hood, 16" Ponies, LX Taillights.
"Nip it in the Bud"
Mad Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:14 AM   #9
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Hey no problem! Glad to help

Yeah, I took a year off after high school and worked full time...not to mention you'll understand how I did it if you saw the minimum payments on my credit card bills

With the bike, I didn't buy her. My fiancee bought her, and then kept her when he purchased his 929 (missed his Superhawk and the power of a literbike!) So instead of selling her, I took her under my wing, and absolutely love it!!!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: