MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Corner Carvers Delight (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Springs and shocks suggestions (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=18276)

Mad Horse 01-13-2002 03:34 PM

Springs and shocks suggestions

I'm looking for a suspension set up that will handle good without being too harsh. I plan on lowering the car with the springs also so keep this in mind. So what springs and shocks handle the best and give the best ride? Thought you road racers might know this but I plan on posting it in the Windsor Forum too.

drudis 01-16-2002 02:10 PM

I suggest some "street" or "sport" type springs. THey are typically 10% stiffer than stock. Almost every single company (BBK, Steeda, H&R, Eibach, Saleen....) all make these sets.
Personally, I used the Eibach springs.
The Tokikos are a nice compliment.

blue00gt 01-17-2002 12:50 PM

I'd agree with Drudis. My personal choices for your needs would be Eibach or H&R springs and Tokico or Bilstein shocks and struts.

Stang Runner 01-17-2002 01:13 PM

I have H&R springs Super Sport ones to tell you the tuth on my car very Bad ride around the streets But I still love them ( was not to Bad tell I striped it down some less wieght make it feel like Stiffer springs. Bilstein I love them All Good stuff to say about them.

2FastLX 01-18-2002 08:20 AM

I have a friend that has the Eibach Pro Kit springs with Koni Reds. His car handles good and rides smooth. Not harsh at all.

I on the other hand had the Koni Yellows and Ford C's. This was a bit stiffer setup. At times it was rough riding, but for the most part it was fine. It was really fun to drive so that made up for the stiffness. I just stayed off of the bad roads and headed for the curves.

These Koni's are adjustable, so you can turn them down when you want a smoother ride. And believe it or not it's very noticable when you turn them down. Most of the others offer an adjustable setup as well.

By the way, nearly everyone that rode in my car had the same comment: "It feels like a big go cart".

For my next setup I'm going with a full Griggs compliment front and rear with coilovers. That should be really sweet ;)

Skankin 01-18-2002 01:11 PM

When you use springs to lower the front, you lower the roll center much further than the center of gravity (the control arms become angled).

Also, the springs are located in-board, so despite the use of heavy springs, the wheel rate isn't very high at all. You want the weight:wheel_rate ratio of the front & rear to be about the same, so you don't get the for-aft rocking/sea-sickness.

With a 60:40 weight distribution, 200# springs in the rear (stock location) should have about 600# in the front (stock location).

The factory balance isn't right, and some of the 10% stiffer kit's aren't either...

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/suspension.html

Mustangbelle306 01-22-2002 09:58 PM

I hate my Eibachs. I wish I had never gotten them...the car doesn't even look lowered in the front, and the ride isn't exceptionally improved either.

I'm personally opting for the Tokicos...both people (Tokico and KYB) said they were happy with their choice, but the peeps with the Tokicos say they noticed a major difference, so I'm going to pay more and see what the fuss is all about ;)

Mad Horse 01-25-2002 01:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Just wanted to the thank both the guys and girls for the input on the suspension. I will definately either go with the Tokico, Koni, or Bilstein shocks and struts and Eibach or some other sport springs. Just wanted to thank you for the input.

Mustangbelle306, just wanted let you know that I'm jealous of all the toys you have had already. All I have is a 300EX and my 88GT. Once I'm out of college I hope to catch up :)

Mustangbelle306 01-28-2002 12:14 AM

Hey no problem! Glad to help :)

Yeah, I took a year off after high school and worked full time...not to mention you'll understand how I did it if you saw the minimum payments on my credit card bills :( :rolleyes:

With the bike, I didn't buy her. My fiancee bought her, and then kept her when he purchased his 929 (missed his Superhawk and the power of a literbike!) So instead of selling her, I took her under my wing, and absolutely love it!!! :D