MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2001, 03:16 PM   #1
MidniteWrider
Registered Member

Question Springs???

My car is backwards... it sits high in the front and low in the back. To correct this I have just bought new front lowering springs and new rear leaf springs. I have already orderd them, and I was considering putting them in myself. With the proper tools, is this something I should try doing myself. I am mecanically inclined, but I am no mechanic. I have worked a little bit on my cars in the past replaceing mechanical stuff but nothing too major. I am just trying to save some money and learn more about my car. I plan on buying a few more stangs and I want to be able to do as much as possible myself, within reason, I realize some things are better left up to the pros. I am a little worried about doing the front springs, I know I need a spring compressor I see that NPD now sells one for $25. Are there any other special tools required? Can anyone offer any do's or dont's and or/oprinons about this process.
Thanks,
Jim

------------------
68 Hardtop
Formerly a 6 now a slightly built 289 w/C4.
My first of hopefully many Mustangs.
MidniteWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 03:24 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

It's pretty straigh forward. No other special tools. A ratchet some 9/16 and 1/2 inch sockets a 9/16 wrench and the compressor should be all that you need. You might want to change the coil spring perch and insulator while your at it. As for the lift springs doing one side at a time is recomendable. Make sure that the spring lines up with the bolt on the rear end housing. Thats about it have fun and be careful while the car is lifted.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:27 PM   #3
Brian Browning
Registered Member

I've done it on my El Camino and if I can do it anybody can. Just be very careful with the compressed spring. It really is a loaded bomb that could hurt you if it gets away.

------------------
65 convertible
'66 289 Hi Po motor, 351 heads, headers, duals, shelby intake, petronix,
4 speed top loader, 389 rear, road demon
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 12:05 AM   #4
jwboner
Registered Member

You might want to try to lower the upper arms while you have the spring out, it also lowers the front end a little and isn't too hard to do either. All you need is the template, I got mine out of the Tony Branda catalog. Whatever spring you ordered you will want to use the insulator the will give you the height you want, the people at Mustangs Plus can help with that. I've got 620s with the 1" insulator on lowered A arms and my fender is about even with the top of 215 60 15 tires. And have 5 leaf on back and it's pretty high even with a full tank of gas with my 255 60 15.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 12:31 AM   #5
69fastback
IRAQ VET

U don't have to buy the spring compressor if u don't want too. Most auto parts stores have them for rent for alot cheaper than 25 dollares. One thing to make sure is that the compressor is strong enough for the springs. I actually bent the bolt on the compressor with my stock 428 springs. I had to go get a new one to put in the drag springs after that.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 12:41 AM   #6
gp001
Registered Member

The advice above sounds pretty good, just remember to support the car as well as the axle when doing the rear. Had a friend who supported the axles, undid the rear springs, and SLAM trapped himself. Could've been worse.

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 02:10 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

All the above advice is good. I did the suspension on my '66 using 620 coils on the front and 5 leaf on the rear from Mustang plus. I actually cut about a 1/4 coil off the front springs to get the ride height I wanted. If you use 5 leaf on the rear, use the mid eye as that lowers about an inch to match the 620's with plain thickness(poly) insulators on the front. As I said, I had to cut another 1/4 coil off the fronts, but don't do that until you have tried them on first. I know , twice the work. Measure twice, cut once.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 06-22-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote