MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Steeda Springs/Compressor Help

I don't wanna weld on subframe connectors, so I decided to go with the springs. I'm not putting them in yet (tried the unorthodox way a week ago) when I do I know I need spring compressors, especially for the front. If I'm using those, do I still have to loosen the sway bar in the front or can I just squeeze the springs and pop'em out?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
drudis

Default Re: Steeda Springs/Compressor Help

If you dont have a spring compressor, I highly recommend PAYING someone to do it for ya. Plus, on some prings, you cannot use the inner spring compressor, as the compressor gets in the way. An outt-spring compressor doesnt fit inside the k-member/frame area so that is difficult to use... Been there, done that, on both. Its not easy nor fun.

The front springs are a LOT of work to get in and out. You will lower the front control arm till its nearly pointing towards 5:00 (nearly straight up/down) to get a spring in there. LOTS of stored energy, so dont just crowbar-them-out, or you might catch a flying spring with your teeth!

IMOHO, rears are easily doable, but fronts I would pay to have them installed.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Re: Steeda Springs/Compressor Help

Amazing, you talk about replacing springs in these things and people see DEATH in your future...I'm not getting real confident about this at this point. Tell you the truth I'm actually more worried about the thing shooting up through the fender and tearing the car apart..Suppose I got the front springs out, survived and was putting the Steeda application for the 2001 Mustang 4.6 (I forgot the tag number on the springs), someone told me I could put them in place and slowely sit the car down on the pavement without wheels to squeeze them in..You know what I'm just gonna use the spring compressor kit for Macpherson struts and try jacking the mount back into place with the new springs. Thanks for the advice, this actually concerns me more than replacing the engine will.