MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2001, 02:31 PM   #1
moonblue66
Registered Member

Talking engine, suspension, & paint

I've got a 66 coupe (straight 6).
I want to...
1. fix my suspension
2. get a huge kick @$$ engine
3. get a new paint job
All I have is $4000 and I know I probably wouldn't have enough for the paint job after the suspension and the engine swap.
However, I don't know what exactly is wrong with my suspension. Does anyone know the price range for fixing suspension?
What kind of engine is best? How much do they run for?
And...if I get more money, where can I get a good paint job?
Lastly, keep in mind that I know hardly anything about cars.
Thanks

------------------
66 coupe...
Girl who needs car help, likes to learn, and and isn't afraid of getting dirty
To see my car or 84_GT350's car:
Go Here
Click on "Our Mustangs"

[This message has been edited by moonblue66 (edited 08-18-2001).]

moonblue66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 08:36 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

My oh my, you have asked the preverbial $64K question. My answer is you don't have enough money for all of these things, but it isn't going to happen overnight so lets just forge ahead. I would get a catalog for Mustangs Plus. They have complete suspension pacakges and some *** kicking as well as wallet kicking engines. This will give you a very good idea what is available. On a 66, I would get a full suspension kit and replace darn near everything under there. That should run you about $1000. Next I would get a front disk brake conversion kit and upgrade your rear breaks to 67 or later units, about $1000. Engines are going to be a real bear to figure out which one you want. Every month I change my mind about my 72. Dont forget you will need a trany with that engine. My choice for that car would be a medium build 302 (250-300hp) with a t5wc (wc for world class, best torque rating.)
As for paint, that will cost a small fortune to do it right. You can save lots of money by learning about the prep work and doing as much as you can yourself. (the really important part because a bad prep will make good paint look terrible, while a good prep will make bad paint look ok. Of course good prep and paint = wow.) But the paint isn't cheap anyway you go. I would do the suspension first, dirve train next and paint third. Of course some of that drive train will be easier when suspension is apart. Good luck with it.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Thunderbolt is giving good advice. I think my Mustang Plus suspension cost more like $1500 and that was a few years ago. I include steering rebuild in that figure too.

If you want a huge kick a$$ engine, I say you need a 351W with as many mods as you can afford. A good one will take probably the whole $4000 if you include exhaust and cooling.

Thunderbolt is of course right about needing a tranny. You'll need a rear end with the right ratio and Traction-Lock as well to handle the power. More $$$.

Paint and body is a whole "nother" story. I did mine myself which I don't really recommend. It took me 6 months of week ends and cost $1500 in materials and tools (some rented). It was a major pain in the a$$ and turned out looking really only "OK". Good paint and body men earn their money. On the other hand, doing what I did would cost at least $6000 at a shop.

Hope this gives a little insight.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
moonblue66
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks soooo much Rev and Thunderbolt
There's this book that I saw in the 'Mustang Country' catalog...it's called "How to restore your classic mustang" (or something like that). Should I get a book like that?
As far as the $4,000, I could maybe get $1,000-$2,000 more if I have to.
My priorities are as follows: 1. suspension and 2. engine
The paint job can wait for now.
Do you guys know of any other places or websites that I could look at for engine info? Anyway, thanks again for the detailed explanations
Oh, and one more thing hehe...where can I get the Mustangs Plus catalog?

------------------
66 coupe...
Girl who needs car help, likes to learn, and isn't afraid of getting dirty.
Go Here
Click on "Our Mustangs"

[This message has been edited by moonblue66 (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old 08-20-2001, 11:22 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

MustangPlus.com. Give'em your credit card and get a catalogue for $4-5. You get a refund for it when you order. Look at it carefully to decide what you want. There are many, many options on that suspension. They also send news letters after that with discounted prices. I can tell you what I got, but you may not want a road race suspension (my choice).

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:36 AM   #6
John Z
Registered Member

Before you spend a lot, go over the car really carefully for rust problems. Rust is a more difficult and costly repair than the mechanical systems. Especially check the cowl area.

Since your planning a I6 to V8 swap, you need to consider the implications on the suspension. The I6 and V8 suspensions are different and you should upgrade to the V8 parts to support the future engine. It would be a shame to rebuild the I6 parts then have to replace them for the V8 upgrade.

[This message has been edited by John Z (edited 08-21-2001).]
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:11 PM   #7
red
Registered Member

A nice web site on a 289 rebuild posted by someone a few weeks ago click here
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:23 PM   #8
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Before I would sink a bunch of money in your car. I would take note to what I have and how much $$$ I was going to spend to make it a nice V-8 car.

If it was 5-6K, which it will, I would think about selling car and getting a V-8 car in good shape. You have ALOT to change on a 6 cyl. car to convert it.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 01:45 AM   #9
moonblue66
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks to everyone for all of your answers. You guys are so cool!
And gearhead999, the car has sentimental value. I have to work with this car and this car only.
I will either have to make do with the money I have, or just wait until I acquire more. I want to do all of this the right way

------------------
66 coupe...
Girl who needs car help, likes to learn, and isn't afraid of getting dirty.

Go Here
Click on "Our Mustangs"