MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2002, 12:51 PM   #1
wade73
Registered Member

Default rear sway bar replacement

has anyone had any experience swapping out the rear sway bar? mine is busted and i am trying to decide what to do:
1. buy a steeda and replace it myself
2. buy a steeda and have someone do it for me
3. let ford replace it with a stock one
if anyone has had any experience on it, any info about your experiences and/or whose sway bar you would go for. the steeda is just a bit more expensive, but if anyone else has used a saleen, racerwalsh, etc, please let me know what you think.
i would really rather wait until i can buy the steeda g trac 1 package, but money is kinda tight right now, and my fiance wouldnt be too pleased if i did (i.e. honeymoon, rehersal dinner, etc). at the same time, the rattling and popping i hear everyday is grating on my nerves, and i hope i am not screwing something up.

i am out of warranty and i have heard the rear sway bar in the gt is extremely prone to breaking at the weld points, even in everyday (read: normal) use...it would seem to me that this would be a recall issue, but so far i havent found any info on it

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Definitely do it yourself! It's only 4 bolts and takes all of about 10 minutes to do.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
wally6761
Registered Member

at least give it a try yourself, it should come with some bolts and bushings. and hopefully instructions or look at the old one when you take it off. once i had to fix mine (on a WS-6 TA) and couldn't get it to line up quite right (maybe i'm dumb). i took it to my mechanic, he only charged me like 20 bucks.

i don't know the price difference between the parts but if it's a lot, just get the stock one. without all different shocks and stuff, the steeda sway bar by itself isn't going to change much unless it is drastically different.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Well, I got the Steeda front/rear sway bars and the sport springs at once, and I notice a drastic improvement in control. Since I have added the rest of the kit, there's no comparison to the way it was factory.. I don't see curves anymore, the roads are all straight. I have been under my car enough to say, that I have taken that rear-sway bar off, and it's not that hard.... Like was said earlier, it's 4 bolts and it drops out off your lower control arms. It's not even that heavty, so you don't have to worry about lifting it.. I had a plave around here put all my stuff in for me, but the individual labor for the rear itself was only about $20..

I would start looking at your suspension, Mustangs can't plant the power they come with, so why make more if you are going to spin... I would go with the full G-Trac kit from Steeda, the RaceCraft kit from Saleen, or MaximumMotorsports kit. They are all about the same parts, just different names.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:07 PM   #5
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Would I notice a dramatic difference in handling from just the addition of a Steeda front and rear swaybar? Anyone with experience?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:00 PM   #6
wade73
Registered Member

the steeda g trac 1 package would seeming be the best way to go, ESPECIALLY with the price. the springs, sway bar, engine compartment brace, etc all for less than 600 bucks is hard to beat.

i am going to just put back money without my significant other knowing and hopefully get it within a couple of months. i can probably just say i need new shocks or something and she might believe that. all she knows how to do is put gas in hers...

i live in mobile, alabama...does anyone know any places within a couple of hours that does mustang work only? new orleans is two hours west, panama city is about 2.5 hours east, and montgomery is 2.5 hours north. just trying to find the best place to take my baby

Old 05-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wade73
the steeda g trac 1 package would seeming be the best way to go, ESPECIALLY with the price. the springs, sway bar, engine compartment brace, etc all for less than 600 bucks is hard to beat.

I already have the springs, strut tower brace, subframes, and the caster/camber plates from steeda. They made a nice difference, car feels much stiffer and stable. Still doesn't turn like it should...I want to know if the sway bars will fix that. Thanks.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Old 05-07-2002, 03:06 PM   #8
wade73
Registered Member

i would think that replacing the sway bars would make the car more stable. after all, they help control the roll in the car as it turns. the sway bar from steeda for the rear is 119 bucks i think.

Old 05-07-2002, 06:37 PM   #9
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wade73
i would think that replacing the sway bars would make the car more stable. after all, they help control the roll in the car as it turns. the sway bar from steeda for the rear is 119 bucks i think.
Awesome, thanks. Whenever my tax refund gets here, I'm gonna pick up the rear swaybar.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...