MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-05-2001, 02:36 AM   #1
5.fast.0
Registered Member

Question what is best handling?

for a stock 88lx 5.0 what are some thing that i can add to my car to make it handle around the turns best. how much $ and where
5.fast.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 12:31 PM   #2
Fox89GT
Registered Member

Check out suspension packages from Steeda, Maximum Motorsports, Global West and Griggs for starters. Sorry don't have the exact links...
Fox89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 01:04 PM   #3
spinemup
Registered Member

eibach handling springs will make the most difference in taking corners. then subframe connectors.
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 03:24 PM   #4
autoX
Registered Member

If i had to start all over again, I think I would look seriously at the entire Maximum Motorsports package, IPS, or Griggs stuff. I tried to do my car in pieces as I had the money and I kinda wish I would have just saved up and bought a whole kit in one shabang. If you have to go in pieces there are a few things to remember.
1. Don't lower your car more than 1.5" with lowering coil springs
2. Try to stick with one company - don't mix and match suspension pieces from different manufacturers.
3. Do your homework and make sure that you know what your goals are for your car... (i.e. is your car a daily driver or a race only Stang?, etc.)
Good luck and have fun!

------------------
Red '90 GT - My Daily Driver w/ Kenny Brown braces & Springs, 6 KYBs, Caster/Camber Plates, Factory Five Control arms, Poly Bushings, 3.55 gears, Hurst shifter, Dynomax cat-back, Cervini 2 1/2 cowl, & Polished ROH ZR6 wheels... Griggs torque-arm and panhard bar waiting for installation!
autoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #5
smithbling
Registered Member

On my 88, I only installed Eibachs and 17 inch wheels. Eibachs provided better center of gravity, the 17 inch wheels made a huge difference. The car takes corners wickedly now.

------------------
C ME FLY

88 coupe
14.75 @ 98 mph
Traction Limited

smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 09:41 PM   #6
drudis

Exclamation

Make a PLAN!
What do you wana do? Do you want a street car you drive to work everyday? or just occasionally to work and sunny days? or roadcourse car? And be HONEST, how often will you autocross or roadrace or NEEEEEED those suspension pieces... I am just trying to have you make a good decision.

For starters:
#1. WELDED subframe connectors. Even my WIFE noticed that I did "something" to the car. Now _thats_ seat-o-pants improvement.
#2. Springs and shocks. I personally had the Eibach 450-580# variable rate 1.5" lowering springs. Great spring for the street with 10% stiffer than stock. Quality spring with no sagging or variances. Then I went more track oriented and went with 650# BBK linears. I ran these for a few years. Not much different on the street, but the track noticed less dive in braking. I am currently )ok, when it gets warmer in the garage) putting in a K-member and coilovers with 900# equivalent springs.
3. Wheels/tires (EXPENSIVE). The first two will make your car feel sporty. The wheels/tires will actually _make_ the difference. Start with at least 16x8 whells and 245 tires. 17's (old GT tri-spokes) can be had for not too much money, and 255 tires work great. You will need to convert to 5-lug which is more money...
4. Suspension pieces. this get exotic and expensive quick. An you will need all of the above to make use of it. I'm talking like torque-arms and panhards and control arms and coilovers and swaybars...

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 07:33 AM   #7
LOCASH
Registered Member

If you are looking for a place to bet Maximum Motorsports, Steeda, or Kenny Brown check out Partshopper.com (or Partsshopper.com). I was really happy with the service,they have alot of stuff, and the prices were great. Right now they have "blemished" Steeda strut tower braces for about $50. Maximum Motorsports page also has alot of info including a high mile Stang that beat out alot of really expensive cars using their stuff, and some stuff on lowering your car. I am not a pro auto-x'er so I get alot of ideas from them.

------------------
86 GT T-tops, AOD, B&M shift kit and hammer shifter, ROH wheels, K&N, Timing,MAC headers, 2.5 off road H, 2.5 American Thunder, 87 spindles, rear disc,SS lines, BBK 1.5, poly bushings, Crutchfield front kick panel speakers.
LOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: