MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2001, 09:43 AM   #1
Black02GT
Registered Member

Question Handling

As a new member to this forum and new '02 GT owner, I was wondering what some of your thoughts were on the subject of handling. I am a little dissapointed that the car doesn't handle better than it does. It's a great ride, however, my wifes stock 1998 SVT Contour will run circles around this thing when it comes to handling. The contour also brakes better, but that could be attributed to the handling also. I don't intend to go overboard with mods on the whole car, but I would like a better handling ride. I am willing to change springs, shocks, and sway bars; does anyone have any suggestions for this setup? I was thinking of the springs and shocks from the Bullitt...maybe...does anyone have any experiences in this area?

Thanks
Black02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 06:20 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The aftermarket for suspension upgrades on mustangs is very large, and with the right parts your stang will easily outhandle the SVO...

Basic upgrades should start with some sub-frame connectors and some Eibach pro-kit springs (Don't forget the caster\camber plates and the offset steering rack bushings...)

Other aftermarket options:
Front and rear sway bar, strut tower brace, some koni or KYB shocks and struts...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:14 AM   #3
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

I've heard nothing but good reviews from those GT owners who have upgraded to the Bullitt parts.

Could be a great step in upgrading the ride and handling of the basic GT.

The Contour is a great handling lil' sedan but with those Bullitt upgrades you should be feeling a little different about your GT.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 01:30 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you just want to stick with the basics, I would take a look at companies like Steeda, Saleen, or Maximum Motorsports. My personal preference for springs and shocks/struts if you don't want to get crazy is H&R springs and Bilstein shocks/struts (you can get these from Maximum Motorsports). The H&R's are progressive and offered in several different stiffnesses and ride heights. The Bilsteins have variable valving and work very well with the H&R springs.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 09:15 PM   #5
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I felt the same way about the differences between my Probe and my Cobra. That changed after a few mods to the Cobra. The springs, subframe connectors and shocks will help bigtime. Bigger wheels like my 9.5's doesn't hurt either. Add Ford Racing rear upper control arms and you'll be feeling really good. I have Steeda rear lower control arms going in next week and I'm excited abut this mod as well.

Anyway, the Contour may feel like it handles better but go out and push both cars to the limit and tell me which feels better. My Probe has an ideal 50/50 weight distribution but it still doesn't feel as confidence inspriring as my Cobra at the limit. I bet I would absolutely destroy my Probe on a road course and I think you would do the same to the contour. The rear drive and extra power can't be beat.. Let us know what you think after a few suspension mods..

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:46 AM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

How serious do you want to get?

If you want to run circles around, well most anything, then go ahead and mail the major credit card of your choice to Griggs Racing:

http://www.griggsracing.com/

They're the upper end, but if you want to out handle (whatever) then they can put it together for you. A little more reasonable, but in the same neighborhood is Maximum Motorsports:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/

While a full Griggs Mustang barely qualifies as a Mustang (the suspension doesn't even attach to the same places in a "full Griggs car") a Maximum Motorsports is a bit more conservative, a lot cheaper, but pretty darn close in performance. Its a good deal.

But from some one who has spent a lot of time and money making a Mustang handle (Griggs), a Mustang is never going to be "graceful like a ballerina." That doesn't mean it can't be extremely fast "in the twisties" (road course, auto-x. SCCA, back roads), but the nature of the chassis is going to lend it self to big tires, big brakes, and a heavy foot (both throttle and brake) around the track.

But anyway, back to subject of the original question:

The Bullet brakes are the Cobra brakes with a cool paint job, and with good pads (Hawk HP or Hawk HP+s for example) are very good brakes, especially for the money. Shop around for the best deal. The brakes are "PBR dual piston calipers w/ 13" rotors". Baer sells an identical kit, Steeda sells them, Ford sells them both as the Bullet and as the Cobra, look for wrecked Cobras or rebuilds (http://www.stangparts.com/ for example). The C4 Corvettes even used the same brakes (although they require some modification to be used on a Mustang). Basically you can do a significant brake upgrade pretty cheapy.

Handling: Cheap and effective: subframe connectors. They make a world of difference, especially in the "feel" department. All of them are pretty cheap ($1XX), so I'd not mess around and go with the Maximum Motorsports full legnth subframe connectors. Subframe connectors are deffently money well spent.

Handling+: It all depends on how much you want to spend. You can probably find some Bullet springs (bit lower, but stiffer) pretty cheap if you look around. Eibachs are the aftermarket default. Shop around. The thing with live axle Mustangs is that you can go stiff on the front w/o it adversly effecting the ride. The rear makes the most difference with a 4 link live axle.

Shocks: Tokicos are pretty good. KYBs are a bit cheaper and are okay for casual stuff. Bilsteins are very good and not too expensive. Konis run from "good" to "race ready" and "reasonable" to "extremely expensive". (try: http://www.shox.com/)

Its a Mustang. It can be whatever you want it to be, and rellatively cheapy.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote