MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-18-2001, 09:19 AM   #1
Phlea96gt
Registered Member

Question What do you think of this...?

I have been looking to perform a suspension upgrade on my 1996 GT for a month or two. Here is what I think I will go with:
Eibach Springs, and Monroe Shocks and struts.

Reasoning:

This is what Roush used in the Mustangs built for Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving.

I figure this setup will be a good sturdy setup, with not to harsh a ride..and if nothing else it is a good stage one upgrade.

By the way my goal is to have a decent neutral handling car, that I might eventually do some autocross in.

Thoughts or opinions...?

--------------------
Phlea96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 08:41 AM   #2
drudis

Thats what I started with on my Mustang.

The 1996 Mustang has rates of 400-500#. Get springs that are 10% stiffer (like 440-550#), and you will be pleasantly surprised with the nice ride and improved handling.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 10:57 AM   #3
Skankin
Registered Member

The problem with the strut suspension is that lowering changes the angle of the control arms. You lower the centre of gravity (good), but you lower the roll centre a lot more (bad). This produces more body roll, and the geometry gets even worse. Consequently, it's best to increase the spring rate.

I went with the FMS B springs (425-525 & 200-300), and the fronts are just too soft (even just as a daily driver). Too much roll & brake dive... I'd recommend at least 600#. I cheaped out with the KYB shocks & struts too... so that's all comming off.

The ride/comfort is more dependent the dampers, so I wouldn't go too cheap. The monroe sensi-track (or whatever) are supposedly quite plush, and should work with modest spring rates.

If you go heavier up front, you'll need a better strut though. The cobra R bilsteins are a deal at $275 a pair from www.oemfordparts.com or www.buyfordmotorsport.com

The H&R springs are supposed to be quite good. Check out the rates at www.maximummotorsports.com

Here's another good link: http://home.satx.rr.com/davidmroe/sp...ufacturers.htm

You might consider just doing the front now, with 95R springs (700-850#) $145, and 2000 R Bilsteins $275. Then doing the rear later, ditching fords quadra-bind setup, and going for a torque-arm & panhard bar combo.

Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote